my hp deskjet 6940 only prints in red. new ink cartridge did not help (3335 Views)
Honor Student
javinger
Message 1 of 5 (3,335 Views)

my hp deskjet 6940 only prints in red. new ink cartridge did not help

HP deskjet 6940 only prints in red.  I've tried new ink cartridge and only print grayscale with no success.

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 2 of 5 (3,318 Views)

Re: my hp deskjet 6940 only prints in red. new ink cartridge did not help

Hello javinger,

Print a test page from the printer and see if you notice any issues with that. See this document for how to print it and how to proceed if there are any issues with it:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00591456&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=467982&

If you only want to use black ink when printing you can remove the colour cartridge from the printer completely. This will make the printer print in backup or reserve mode. Remember to go to the Printing Preferences and disable the Print in Grayscale option. The quality might not be as good as if you would have both cartridges installed though.

Honor Student
javinger
Message 3 of 5 (3,314 Views)

I removed the color cartridge.  Both print cartridge indicators are blinking indicating that the black sensors are not recognizing the presence of the cartridge.

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 4 of 5 (3,311 Views)

Hello javinger,

Follow the steps in this document to clean the cartridge and carriage:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01154398&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=467982&

When cleaning the carriage take the time to check and make sure that it's not damaged. If it's not, then replace the black cartridge but if the carriage is damaged then as I see it you have three options: continue using the printer with only the colour cartridge; call the support and see if you can purchase an out of warranty repair/replacement of your printer; purchase a new printer.

I hope you'll be able to fix the printer though.

Honor Student
ADad
Message 5 of 5 (3,040 Views)

This problem has nothing to do with ink cartridges and everything to do with how the printer is programmed...and I have found a work around which is this.....save the pdf or whatever the file is as a jpeg.  It will be in Microsoft Office Picture Manager...and you can print it using the Photo Print Wizard (which will come up automatically when you try to print)..and it will print on your color printer as it should....no red overlay on top of the picture/graphic.

If you don't use Microsoft Office....you should have a similar type program...anyhoo....I had that problem today, this is what worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation