Question

Student
quickglo
Message 1 of 2 (530 Views)

my printer is not communicating with my computer

I recently upgraded my hard drive from a 40 gig to a 120 gig . The computer store located 90 miles away said they had cloned my hard drive and that all information, files, drivers etc was included. Everything else is working, my modem, all my files are present but I can not get my printer to print. I have gone through the control  panel and it confirms the printer as the default. It list the documents to print but  will not print them. I  cancelled all jobs, turned my computer off after hooking the printer by the usb cable and  turned it back on, nothing. I tried turning the printer off and back on while connected, nothing. I did noticed that while the computer is on if I unplug the printer from the usb the computer does not alert me by tone nor does it if i plug it back into the usb while the computer is on.  It is as if the USB cable is damaged in some way.

i have called the computer store and they recommend removing all the hp software and reloading. I considered this and noticed that i could chose which programs to delete. If i go this route should I just reload the drivers only or should i include the imaging as well. Will the disc automatically detect which programs are missing when i use it or will i have to pick the programs to reinstall. Is there a way to check the usb cable prior to removing software? Can I query the printer to see if they are communicating .through the desk top? thank you

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 2 (512 Views)

Re: my printer is not communicating with my computer

Are you able to connect other USB devices?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation