Question

Honor Student
drury67
Message 1 of 8 (1,347 Views)
Accepted Solution

no black print

my officejet 6500 ran out of black ink.  I replaced it and now it only prints color.  Any help appreciated

Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 2 of 8 (1,333 Views)

Re: no black print

You could clean the black ink cartridge. For this you need to remove the black ink cartridge which is present in the printer. In order to clean the laser or scanner block you could use a cotton swab as it would fully clean the dirt. You need to clean the grime and the dried ink present in the printer. This would remove all the hindrances which prevent the ink from flowing. Cleaning the printer heads would also help to solve the problem.

Honor Student
drury67
Message 3 of 8 (1,326 Views)

Thanks.  I'll try that.  However, the printing stopped instantly.  eg. one page printed fine while ink was low but no warning message.  The next day no black print at all.  Put in new 920 ink cartridge and still no black print.

Student
DukeG
Message 4 of 8 (1,309 Views)

I have a brand new HP C310 printer and the black ink will not print at all.  I have tried everything!  Uninstalled software and reinstalled, bought brand new ink, double verified that I have the correct ink, and cleaned everything.  The printer we had before did the same thing, since it was older we got rid of it and got this new one.  I am running this computer on a Mac with snow leopard, but we also have it hooked up (through wireless network) on a Dell running Windows Vista.  Please help!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 8 (1,304 Views)

The following may work:  remove all the ink supplies.  Remove the printhead and soak it for about 5 minutes in 0.5" of very hot water.  Gently blot the printhead on a soft damp paper towel to remove the excess water, then replace in the printer and then reinstall the ink supplies.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 8 (1,303 Views)

In re-reading your post I see that this is a new printer.  In this case I would suggest you Contact HP for warranty support.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
MongoJerry
Message 7 of 8 (1,299 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. Yesterday the black just plain quit in mid print. Cartridge is about a month old and 3/4 full. Shows in the ink levels as 3/4 full. Replaced this morning with a 920xl which shows as installed and full but it will not print black at all. All other colors work fine. The printer is used about every other day so nothing should have dried out.

All settings normal and were unchanged. Did the alignment, head clean, you name it including shut off and unplug power.

It still will not print in black.

Officejet All-In-One 6500 E709N

Honor Student
MongoJerry
Message 8 of 8 (1,289 Views)

I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried the hot water solution. Hey! Worked like a champ! Was able to re-install my original black cartridge and it prints like new again.

Thanks for this solution!

Daniel

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation