Question

Honor Student
fcc_san
Message 1 of 3 (2,352 Views)

no print head cleaning of HP6988dt

I needed to clean the print head of my HP Deskjet 6988dt printer, which installed, and worked pretty well under Fedora 13. The automatically selected driver performs all the requested operations, including front-and-back printing.
  Only print head cleaning (system administration>printing>properties.clean button) does not work, and I was not able to find a way to perform the operation form the front panel. The error message does not say anything to me:

CUPS server error. There was an error during the CUPS operation:'client-error-document-format-not-supported"

The old nov. 2007 trick (sudo hp-toolbox), http://free-linux-trick.blogspot.com/2007/11/head-cleaning-hp-printer-all-linux.html
does not work.
Someone can help? Thanks to all.
fcc

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (2,337 Views)

Re: no print head cleaning of HP6988dt

The following may work:  turn on the printer.  Press and hold the power button, then press the X button twice, then release the power button.  A more aggressive cleaning may be done with the above procedure but press the X button twice, then press the resume button once (more agressive) or twice (most agressive) and then release the power button.

Note that it is rare to actually need to clean the printheads, a typical cartridge will never need a manual cleaning in its entire life.  Excessive manual cleaning can shorten the life of the cartridge and the printer.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
fcc_san
Message 3 of 3 (2,328 Views)

Re: no print head cleaning of HP6988dt

Thank you for your advice, Bob.

Unfortunately, despite trying for two days, it did not work.

So long

Fabrizio

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation