Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Under the carepack HP has replaced my 8500 with the equiv 8600.  The inside looks a lot different; it appears to be a complete rediesign down to all new cartridges (and they replaced my unopened cartridges with new ones).  The setup sequence it does is much faster, installation easier, no power brick, quieter, and the screen is a bit easier to use.  There are some issues; the 'back' button backlight is usually off even when needed, I get network disconnects which tech support feels will be fixed with the reset they had me do.  Overall, no final evaluation yet but it is a huge improvement.

HP Recommended

Turbo, do you have a part number for the replacement white piece? Mine is cracked and needs to be replaced.

By the way on the white piece there are two slots (opposite of each other) that need to be lined up on the screw/pin that screwed into the shaft. If the slots (on the left hand side of the white piece) are not lined up and/or the white piece is cracked the white plastic piece will not turn with the shaft....

If you align the screw/pin with the slots on the white piece and then push the white piece to the left so that the pin/screw moves all the way into the slots, the white cog will then turn with the shaft. The crack usually happens on one of the left hand slots of the white cog. So even a cracked white cog can still work if one of the slots lines up with the screw/pin.

Alignment of the slot to the pin

HP Recommended

MIne came unable to pass the self check out of the box.  HP replaced it at the time with a semi noisy refurb.  We'd bought a carepack, and we eventually freaked.  It got to a case worker who had the unit replaced by an 8600, which I believe is a complete redesign internally.

HP Recommended

Same problem, tried all sort of fixes, nothing worked, I suggest not buying a Office Jet Pro 8500A Premier. I have to trash this printer and find another all in one. Most likely I will go to a different brand. Wasted dollars.

HP Recommended

This worked for me. There  is a shaft surrounded by a grey piece and a spring to the right. There is a pin hole and pin on the left. keep repeating the pencil trick and then shoving the grey piece to the left with say a pen tip. eventually on your 10th try it might slip left and seat itself around the pin. then it will work. I don't know for how  long. This is a heavy duty printer with cheap parts. There is no other way to describe. Buying an HP top of the line printer does not get you anything more except tragedy when it breaks.

HP Recommended

FWIW, the 8600 series appears to internally be a completely new design.  What I do know is that the setup was much easier, it is much quieter and smoother and overall seems to be a far better printer.  I had a comms problem at first but with a reset that's gone (a few weeks already).  I can't tell you how glad I was to get rid of the 8500 (the original that never worked and the refurb that I couldn't stand).

One note; I won't buy certain HP equipment without extended warranties.  I know Consumer Reports says not too; they have worked out well for me with HP.  If nothing else I finally seem now to get much better tech support - obviously for a longer period, and when things don't work, they will eventually do whatever they need to to clear the problem.  The printer warranties are not expensive, too.

HP Recommended

I have brought my machine back from the junkyard TWICE after HP's customer service people told me that my only option was to buy another HP printer (yeah, right!!).  I am the most technically deficient person ever so how I managed to get it working is a mystery, but for me the issue ended up being the printheads.  I wasn't getting a printhead error, only the paperjam problem.  I went thru all the problem solving with HP support  and tried every YouTube video I could find and still I couldn't get the error code to fix.  While doing those potential fixes, I noticed that my printheads were pretty dirty and then noticed that the area under where the printheads sit on the right hand side was full of gunky ink.  I cleaned the printheads really well using qtips and bottled water and kept them out for a half hour or so to dry.  With the printhead slider "thingy" moved to the left side I also used papertowels and qtips to clean as much of the ink down in that lower area as I could get to.  I had probably two teaspoons of ink sludge that I pulled out.  I left the printer unplugged and disconnected from the power cord while I cleaned the area and the printheads and let everything dry.  Both times, when I reconnected to the power it went thru the printhead allignment phase and then the paper jam error code was cleared.  I probably had about a month in between my first fix and my second, which was today.  I was too embarrassed to post my solution after the first time because I thought it was a fluke.  But two times seems to indicate that I'm onto something!  I'm assuming that my printheads could be going bad and that's why they are dumping too much ink when the machine isn't in use?  Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

I think you've just explained why the 8600 has all new cartridges and print heads.  Presumably HP discovered that it wasn't just the carraige mechanism that was faulty.  All these warnings and comments about heavy ink use at times...  I'd like to think the 8600 solves a whole bunch of issues.

HP Recommended

Yep- I guess I know why I'm always replacing ink cartridges now!  As a side note- this is my second machine of this model.  My first one the document feeder rollers crapped out.  I plan to use this one until it does finally give out and then go to another brand.  I've not been pleased with HP's products or their service.  You want to tell me that they don't know about these problems or solutions when a midwestern mom figured it out?  I don't consider a machine that I spent $400 disposble after one year of use but apparently HP does.  Therefore I'm choosing to not buy from them again, and told customer service as much when they refused to fix the problem.  I bought what I was told to be the creme-de-la-creme of all in one machines and this has been more of a lemon!

HP Recommended

I'm assuming your warranty is expired?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.