Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your input to this Forum.  You have saved me purchasing a replacement printer.

I to had the dreaded Paper Jam message when there was nothing to be found in the printer,  it just seamed to make a crunching noise prior to the error message being displayed..

Having read through the remedies(or not) suggested, I too had noticed the Black plastic clutch mechanism as shown in the picture on page 5. 

First off, I thought the white cog that can be seen through the slot in the black plastic housing, was split and thus causing the problem, however, after spraying some silicone grease on the cog and gently moving the cog backwards and forwards a number of times, using a small screwdiver, it appeared to lock into position, towards the right hand side of the carriage, when viewed from the front.

Anyway the printer is now back in action and working fine.

I assume the Black Plastic housing holds the cog (which I believe may be intentionally split) in place, so those of you who have found the housing in the bottom of the printer will have a mechanical problem.

Kindest regards.

HP Recommended

You have a new gear, or gear from another source that "fits" or what? 

It looks like a real stinker to do it, but with or without a new gear I'll repair this thing (Officejet Pro 8500).  From reading all of the incidences of this failure, I have to guess that the gear was designed with an ID that was just a bit too small, and likely the wrong plastic was used--it splits instead of just relaxing slightly.  From what I can see of the design, there is not a good reason to have such a tight fit, since the white gear never moves on the shaft. 

HP Recommended

The white gear/cog is NOT intentionally split.  Depending on how far the split edges separate, the black mating gear may or may not engage the white gear over time.  Enjoy it while it works, as eventually it will fail completely, I suspect.

HP Recommended

After searching the entire machine for a nonexistent paper jam, tried lubricating and moving the rollers around as stated and BINGO!!  To whomever the genius is that figured this out - THANK YOU!  I was ready to chunk the machine and buy another one.

HP Recommended

Many thanks, everything worked PERFECT :catvery-happy:

HP Recommended

A number of people have done this and gotten their printer working again.  In my case it was non-functional out of the box and HP replaced it with one that sort of worked but had other problems, and eventually under warranty replaced it with the same 8600 (which has its own problems but is far more reliable mechanically).  The 8600 was a complete redesign in about the same form factor, except that it does not have an external power brick.  Far better mechanism for the most part.

HP Recommended

paper jam message keeps coming up on printer.  I have viewed and followed all u tube videos for fixing the problem.  I have followed all steps for reseting the printer... I am out of options.  Do I need to take in to get repaired?

HP Recommended

Thank you all for your helpful posts and your photos!

I also had the gear/clutch issue with a broken white ring part. Tried to figure out how the whole mechanism is supposed to work and I didn't really understand how those parts are meant to function...

MatricBolt's posting on page 11 of this thread solved it for me, he has a photo there with that tiny screw that holds the withe thing in place. If it's broken it slips way too much to the left. I now try to use glue to fix it there...

HP Recommended

I tried what you suggested and I've done it over and over, still get that darn "Paper Jam" message. Has anyone got any other ideas? Is there a 'reset' anywhere? I really need to get this thing running 'cause I start college in two months and I'm unemployed... argh!!!!

HP Recommended

Same for me : no more HP ever !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.