Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

MANY thanks. Another HP 8500 user stuck in a (paper) jam! And thanks to this post now out of it! 

To the poster above. Lift the hood of your printer - it should lift relatively easily.

Look on the far left.

Move the print head across by sliding it gently to the right.

Underneath there is a black plastic tube on the main metal bar running across. Inside the tube you should be able to see a spring on the far right, on the left you can see a white plastic bit inside the tube. That's the bit you want to tackle.

For the record, mine required quite a dose of WD40 and a fair amount of turning of various things GENTLY, with a screwdriver or similar. Nothing forced. I lightly dosed most of the cogs in that area with WD40 really.

And on about the fifth attempt it started up with the realignment test etc. Here's hoping!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem last month and fixed it by following the instructions written previously in this thread.

However, today I experienced the phantom "paper jam" message again and went to slide the white plastic piece into the black gear, but I think I may have forced it too much as the white plastic piece seems to be broken (split apart).

Can anyone confirm if the white plastic is designed this way, i.e. to have a small hairline slit (split apart)?

To make matters worse, the black plastic housing that wraps around the silver rod and the white/black gear clutch mechanism fell apart (in two pieces) and it seems almost impossible to wrap it back around without taking the entire machine apart.

Assuming I can't fix this, I'll have to throw the printer away and buy something new.

Anyone have recommendations for a $250 - $300 printer that is similar in functionality to this broken printer?

HP Recommended

NO, The white plastic gear is not meant to be broken! But it can still work!

So I had this same problem with the broken white plastic gear. Just to be on the same page, it is located when you move the actual printing mechanism that houses the ink to the right. There is a three layer tube assembly with the outer layer being a black tube with a sort of window, and the 2nd layer (visible through the window) consists of the white gear on the left and a sort of black gear on the right and it looks like the white gear on the left should fit with the black gear on the right. The innermost layer is the metal rod that the whole assembly rests on. 

So if you discover that the white gear is broken then it shouldn't be. Mine broke because I tried to separate it from the black gear, when in fact the fissure wrapped around a very tinny screw (the screw is connected to the innermost metal rod) that is hard to see and rotates with the innermost metal rob. this screw allows the white gear to turn with the metal rod and at a certain point, while turning, the white gear will push the black gear forward which then pushes the black outer layer tube forward. (The black outer layer tube not moving is the problem that started this whole thing, lube it up good!) This black outer layer tube has a set of other gears (that are behind the whole assembly) attached to it that move in position to operate the loading tray to feed paper into the device, allowing the printer to print. Everything works because of this white gear... DON"T MESS WITH THE WHITE GEAR!! IT IS NOT MEANT TO MOVE! 

Fortunately I was able to find the screw and carefully attach the white gear back around where it should be (from left to right, screw then white gear then black gear, but the white gear does not contact the black gear from your vantage point) and the printer works fine even though the gear has fissured. I am not going to mess with the thing anymore and if I have any problems I am sure a careful application of super glue will suffice. Also I had to use a ton of WD-40 before it started working. 

HP Recommended

I should have known - I have been battling this thing for weeks, spent countless hours fiddling with the machine, dropped numerous profanities - and the fix is one of the two all-time great fixes, duct tape or WD-40.

Thanks for help, it has worked like a charm.

HP Recommended

hp8500.jpg

My 8500 also had the gear / clutch issue.  I just pressed it in while it was trying to feed and it is working again now.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

This will kill some of you. I had the same error message on my 8500. It's brand new. Read your posts and tried them all. Then I started taking it apart out of frustration. There is a access panel on the right side. Pried it open and I found a PAPER JAM. How the hell it got there was beyond me. I cleared it and fixed the problem..for now. Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Many thanks to all of you who posted instructions (and photos!)  You saved me the cost of a new printer - for now, at least.

HP Recommended

Update.  It happened again.  Raised the hood to try the same fix and one of the plastic piece fell off inside.  No more HP for me.

HP Recommended

Same problems on new printer and warranty replacement.  Something really wrong and they refuse to fix it.  They just hope your warranty runs out.  Not the same company they use to be.  Inferior products.  I have had 4 hps in 5 years and they all had different problems.  Ordered an epson yesterday.  Don't recommend HP.

HP Recommended

I have an hp psc 1610 and am receiving the paper jam error.  Have only attempted basic  fixes (restart/change cartridge, etc) myself with no luck. From what I read don't see a point in trying to contact hp.  Will likely replace printer and not buy an hp again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.