Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We are having exactly the same problem with an 8500 that has seen only light use over the last year. I did all the steps in HP's video, very carefully. The machine makes this strange little clicking sound and as soon as it does I know the "Paper jam" message will appear. I have used other brands of printers for years without having this problem. We have only used genuine HP inks. I believe there is a design problem, don't know if it's hardware or software but something is wrong with this product. I see this model on sale often at a steep discount and now I know why. This is a criminal waste of metal, plastic and glass as it is cheaper to buy a new product than to have it serviced out of warranty. I have spent several hundred dollars worth of my time dealing with this. Needless to say, unless HP offers to replace this product (even a cheaper one that actually works would be fine), I will not buy another HP product nor recommend one again. 

HP Recommended

Hi Folks,

I used the above method based on a ticking noise coming from the left side of the printer, same place as shown in the image in this thread.  Added some lithium grease, spun the black gear in the direction it would turn.  Then I used the Tools > Realign option on the display.  It worked afterwards.  I also received an error message, 0x6101bef, so if you see this it could be relevant.  

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I too have had nothing but problems with the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless. After years of great service from countless Hp printers (and analytical instruments) since 1986, the Officejet Pro 8500 cannot consistently feed paper, periodically goes offline, and now the phantom paper jam. HP service has been of no value. the problem is always due to an out of warranty condition or another hardware or software component that HP knows nothing about. I could not bear to discard the Officejet Pro 8500, what a waste that wpould have been. So I followed the advice of M_Anhalt and loosened up and lubricated the gear as suggested. IT WORKED!!! HP should hire this individual. He is my hero!. Will I ever purchase another HP printer? No way!

HP Recommended

Open the top of your printer. In the left side there is a black plastic cylinder that moves left and right along a steel rod. It has a black gear that engages a white gear attached to the rod.  This plastic cylinder hangs up and does not properly disengage, which is the source of the loud clicking sound.  A few drops of 3-in-one oil placed on the black cylinder between the cylinder and black gear as well as in the slot opening will free it up.    I had this problem and nothing worked until I found this fix in another forum.

HP Recommended

I too have this phantom paper jam error. Upon checking the tips posted above I noticed something.... I am missing this piece. ( circledprinter.jpgin yellow) Now I do not see it inside the printer and it was printing 3 days ago. None of the above tricks worked. Printer still says paper jam. Any suggestions? 

HP Recommended

Thank you the access point was the problem.....Paper jamed in there..................... tried all night with the cogs and the WD40 ..................keeped trying and trying and then I saw your post about it going to kill us and so we thought we would try it BINGO opened it up and paper jam right there were you said it would be......... Thank you printing well now plus heaps lubricated LOL   Thank you

HP Recommended

You need to check out posting a couple of pages over.  The access panel solved the problem there was bloody paper stuck in there after all  but thank you all for your help great great great didnt have to throw the printer away.......so much for HP help line

HP Recommended

:womanvery-happy: Mission accomplished! Thanks everyone for the photo and awesome advice on the 8500 paper jam error. Yes, I got it too! First I looked everywhere for paper, then I looked everywhere for other problems. I replaced Magenta toner cartridge. Then I replaced the Cyan/Magenta printerhead, but I still got the error. So luckily I found all of you. I used the WD40 for awhile, but what ultimately worked for me was GUNK Liquid Wrench...probably because the printer acted like a bucket of rusted bolts. Then the printer tried to do an alignment, which prompted a general error 0X61011bef because their was a real paperjam when the printer tried to feed a dozen blank sheets to align itself. Finally, it said canceling alignment and cleaned the printerheads.  It only took a week to resolve the problem and $130 for two parts. What a deal! And, apparently I was one of the lucky ones, because I had this printer for two years before the paper jam fake out appeared. I only wish that HP read these posts so they could write these tips into their online troubleshooting guides. Well, back to the printing resumes!:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I tried doing a print align and it cleared the problem as well.

HP Recommended

After reviewing the many posts on this issue and having taken the steps shown on the video one at a time and finding them to be useless, as well as having lubricated the mechanisms as recommended and finding no benefit, I took the obvious step of becoming violent with the printer.  I turned it all around and shook it, stopping just short of throwing it out the second story window.  A small piece of plastic fell out of it.  After that I turned the unit on and the printer worked exactly as it should and has performed perfectly since then (about 3 weeks).

Note that I don't know if the shaking cured the problem (dislodging the piece of plastic?) or if it simply took a while for the lubrication to reach the right places, nor do I know where the little piece of gray plastic came from.

I've been quite satisfied with the collection of features of the 8500 and have found that they can't be found in many other printers.  However, my original 8500 had to be replaced after a couple of months (I don't remember the failure issue) and HP sent me a "refurbished" replacement.  It lasted another 15 months and then developed the paper jam sickness.  I wish that HP would build them to be more robust so that they last more than a few months past their warranty expiration.  I also wish they would support them with more than just an offer to sell me a new one at full list price.  They seem to have lost their customer focus.  How disappointing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.