print jobs stuck in queue (2211 Views)
Honor Student
conifertweed
Message 1 of 8 (2,211 Views)

print jobs stuck in queue

It's an interesting problem! HP OfficeJet 7310, Windows XP Professional w/SP3, printer is on a small switched LAN. When I print anything, the job is queued but immediately shows an error. This only occurs when I am logged onto a liimited user account, Printing works fine from the admistrator account. When the system reboots and I log into any account all the already queued jobs are printed while the HP digital imaging monitor is initializing. After that, again I cannot print from a limited user account. This is a recent occurence and maybe related (???) to installing Internet explorer 8, adding an additional user account, reinstalling the printer software to fix a problem with sending a scan to the computer, or tweaking some security settings which I can't remember exactly what I did offhand. Any ideas?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 8 (2,210 Views)

Re: print jobs stuck in queue

Have you first checked if your limited user account has the priviledge to print?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
conifertweed
Message 3 of 8 (2,160 Views)

It does seem the problem relates to permissions, however setting them is easier said than done. This may be the root of my problem. According to the documentation I have seen, one sets permissions by right clicking on the printer and selecting the security tab in the properties dialog box. I do not have a security tab!
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 8 (2,158 Views)

Only an administrator can add or remove permissions. so you'll have to login to your admin account and add permissions to your limited user account for printing.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
conifertweed
Message 5 of 8 (2,150 Views)

I have been logged in as an administrator. I should have permission to manage this printer. Contrary to MS documentation, I do not see a way to set printer permissions. I have looked in the administrative tools, local security policy settings and I see nothing that would affect printer permissions. I would think that if a user account didn't have permission to print, the file would not be spooled onto the queue. The file will sit on the printer queue until I reboot the computer. Then, even if I do not log in to any account the file will print.

I have Norton 360 and turned off the firewall to see if there was any effect.

Honor Student
conifertweed
Message 6 of 8 (2,149 Views)

Hmm the tab key caused a premature posting. Anyway, I tested with the Norton 360 firewall turned off and there was no change. I see the default permission after installing a printer (which I installed while logged into the administrator account)  is to allow all users to print. I definitely did not change the permissions. I am still puzzled.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 8 (2,138 Views)

Have you run the HP Print Diagnostic Utility and see if it shows anything is wrong? You can download it from the HP website. just search for it.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Teacher
f2point8
Message 8 of 8 (853 Views)

HP is continually updating and adding additional features to the Print Diagnostic Utility. 

The latest release can always be found here: HP Print Diagnostic Utility

If you use the PDU, please consider giving HP your feedback so the HP Engineering team can continue adding features to improve the utility. You'll find a link to the feedback survey in the utility itself.

Thanks, Kent G.

I work for Hewlett-Packard
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation