Question

Honor Student
scatlady1
Message 1 of 10 (14,194 Views)

print spooler error

HP color laserjet 1600 printer.  error reads The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.  I have my default for toners to override as I get about 50 more printings from the cartridge.  I have 3 cartridges that are on over ride but don't want to purchase new cartridges if this problem will reocurr. we are talking $300 for toners and if the printers still won't work, boy will I be mad.  Can anyone help.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 10 (14,186 Views)

Re: print spooler error

Hi, that is a Microsoft msg, did you try to restart your computer to see if the error goes away?

What version of windows are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Honor Student
scatlady1
Message 3 of 10 (14,181 Views)

I've restarted computer, & reinstalled software and still get the same message.  When I installed my other printer software it gave me an option to fix the spooler trouble and it worked with the hp photosmart printer but the ink cartridges run out too fast. using windows 7

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 4 of 10 (14,174 Views)

Can you check if the Print Spooler is started?

In Win7,  Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a HP employee.
Honor Student
scatlady1
Message 5 of 10 (14,160 Views)

tried this last night and it didn't work.  I can restart but when I try to print it gives me the same error message.  Anything else?

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 6 of 10 (14,153 Views)

Take a look at this MS page.

I am not a HP employee.
Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 7 of 10 (13,479 Views)

Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Intern
Pri15s
Message 8 of 10 (13,466 Views)

Hi,

Print spooler is a service of operating system. It is necessary for proper working of printer. If there is any issue with print spooler then printer will not work.  You need to perform some steps to check the functionality of printer spooler service. Let’s perform following steps in your computer.

Open run window in your computer. In run window, type services.msc and hit enter.

A list of services will appear.

Look for print spooler service.  Select print spooler service by single click on it. Please check that status must be “started” and startup type must be “automatic”.

If not so then do right click print spooler service >> properties. And set status as started and startup type as automatic.

After you do that click “apply” then click “OK”.

If after this still same issue persists then you need to contact your computer manufacturer because print spooler is operating system service. So, in this case your computer manufacturer will assist you better.

Honor Student
panklove91
Message 9 of 10 (12,397 Views)

Check the print spooler service if it is started or not from services.msc. if not restart the service and restart the system and check. If still that does not work then uninstall the printer driver from device manager and from add remove programs and reinstall these after rebooting the computer and printer.

Honor Student
panklove91
Message 10 of 10 (12,396 Views)

1.  Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Locate the following subkey in the registry, and then click this subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print
  3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  4. Type ThrowDriverException for the name of the DWORD value, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click ThrowDriverException, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  7. Exit Registry Editor. Hope that sort out the issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation