Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I do not want to align my printer - I do not use color on my DJ 3051A printer at all. I have it set-up for black ink only because color is so rarely printed that the color cartridge dries up in a few months anyway.  So to align my printer I'd have to WASTE MONEY to buy a new color cartridge  just to satisfy a NAG screen when I install a black cartridge. 

Do you guys supply FEEDBACK to your out-of-touch software engineers who apparently do NOT use  HP products running on the software they wrote?   No one in their right mind writes code to NAG the user every single time they CHOOSE not to 'obey' their suggestions.  Here's MY suggestion to them - add another selection to their pop-up window:  "Bypass this operation and mark it as having been performed for the current cartridge installation."  

It's probably  a flag bit in the registry - how about tell us where is it so we can just edit the registry to change the bit from "not aligned" to "aligned"? (Though I appreciate the comment someone made above, I really don't want to install even MORE software running on my older computer just to auto-check a nag screen).

HP Recommended

I changed my cartridge and it won't stop aligning. It keeps on telling me to hit enter.  Nothing can be printed.

HP Recommended

@Boogers wrote:

I changed my cartridge and it won't stop aligning. It keeps on telling me to hit enter.  Nothing can be printed.

See this post.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I just now read a blurb elsewhere that newer cartridges are coded so the printer can tell if a given pair of cartridges have already been aligned. I don't know if it will work but if I were you and still had the old cartridges - put them both back in and see if it stops attemting repeated alignment cycles.  If it does there's a chance this might reset whatever is causing the problem.  (Assuming you already tried pulling the printer's power cord to do a cold re-start right?)

HP Recommended

Hey Bob,   I have my printer set to print in BLACK ONLY so ... why is it nagging me to do an alignment at all?  (Actually get TWO nag pop-ups  EVERY TIME I print a document - before and after printing!) 

Is there a 'secret' button push on power up or whatever to kill the alignment routine altogether?  How about a flag bit in the registry to fake-out?  A way to doctor the cartridge codes? Buy another brand of printer? SOMETHING!!!??? 

HP Recommended

@johnsonmlb wrote:

Changed the ink cartridge ...checked Alignment.

Now EVERY time I try to print ANYTHING....the first paper to come out the Align test page. I do the alignment process all over again. Try to print the page I want and the New Cartridge Align the printer notice reappears. Then freezes all printing jobs...have to delete printing jobs in Control Panel....restart computer...and then the original page I wanted printed prints out. 

EVERY time I want to print something this happens!!! I've had the printer 4 years and this has never happened before.

What is the answer to this question???

HP Recommended

HP  psc 1315

HP Recommended

The printer will continue to try the alignment pages until the alignment process is completed.  For the PSC 1315 the printed page must be loaded on the scanner bed shortly after printing finishes, then the scan button pressed.  See Solution Five, Step Five of the document here for information.

Step five: Align the printer

Follow these steps to open the printer toolbox and align the printer, if you found defects on the extended self-test report.
  1. Press and hold the Cancel button ( ) and the On/Resume button ( ).
    The Check Paper and Check Print Cartridge lights should blink.
  2. Release both buttons.

NOTE:You will have eight seconds to complete the next five steps.
  3. Press the Cancel button ( ) again.
  4. Press the Copies button.
  5. Press the Paper Type button.
  6. Press the Start Copy - Color button.
    The alignment sheet will begin printing. If the sheet does not start printing, repeat the button press combinations.
  7. Open the scanner glass lid.
  8. Place the alignment sheet face down on the left-front corner of the glass. See the engraved guides on the sides of the scanner glass for assistance.
    Figure 2: Load the alignment sheet on the scanner glass
  9. Close the lid, and then press the Scan button. Wait while the product finishes the alignment. The On light ( ) blinks until the alignment completes.
  10. Try the print job again.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Your help site is terrible. This will be the last HP Product that I buy.

David Heinrich

HP Recommended

@stopasking wrote:

Your help site is terrible. This will be the last HP Product that I buy.

David Heinrich

The forum is a place users can ask others for help.  You have not even asked a question so it is not a surprise that you did not find an answer.

I would suggest you read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system? How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN, Wireless LAN, bluetooth? Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?  What is the problem you are trying to solve?

It is probably better in many cases to ask a new question rather than posting in an old thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.