Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The best way I have found is to press the 'cancel print job' button on my HP printer -ie red-cross button. It has to be pressed at  at the right moment: first you accept align, and once the sheet has been rolled inside the printer and the printing is just about to start, press the cross. Then you can accept cancel by pressing ok.

It works for mine anyway.

Very annoying indeed, i have to align every time I switch it on which is... everyday. I was looking  for an alternative here but no better solution is to be found it seems.

HP Recommended

@SOBO wrote:

The best way I have found is to press the 'cancel print job' button on my HP printer -ie red-cross button. It has to be pressed at  at the right moment: first you accept align, and once the sheet has been rolled inside the printer and the printing is just about to start, press the cross. Then you can accept cancel by pressing ok.

It works for mine anyway.

Very annoying indeed, i have to align every time I switch it on which is... everyday. I was looking  for an alternative here but no better solution is to be found it seems.

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model?  The alignment will generally repeat if it fails, and it will fail if black or the color ink used for alignment is not printing properly.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

My printer is C4400.

An align request does not repeat if I cancel it , and as I said, this is not in connection with cartridge issues, but merely with everyday's request for align when i switch the printer on. Being eco-minded I switch everything off at night.

HP Recommended

The document here may help in resolving alignment failures with the HP Photosmart c4400. 

Are you using an external switch to turn off the printer?  This would cause various problems with the printer - the most obvious is alignment required at each power-up.  Turning off the power with an external switch would also require more ink for servicing at startup.  The printer should always be plugged into a live outlet and only the printer's power switch used to turn off the printer.

Personally I leave my pritner's on 24/7.  For the last decade or more HP Inkjet printers typically have Energy Star ratings and automatically go into a very low power state when not printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Ok thank you very much for the tip, I will switch it off from the printer's own switch and see if it works.It sounds sensible actually.

It is widely reported that all appliances should be turned off from sleeping mode for energy savings, if I may insist a little on this point ! One drop adds to one drop etc.

HP Recommended

Hi,

My parents are having the same problem with their HP Deskjet F4280.

It incessantly prints the 'cartridge realignment' sheet - before and after every print job, wasting a huge amount of paper and ink! 

I have taken the page and followed the instructions on it to realign the cartridges, but this has no effect. The printer keeps printing the realignment pages. It is maddening!

I would really appreciate some advice on how to either:

1) Ensure the cartridge is aligned properly or 

2) Ensure that whatever is erroneously prompting this request for realignment is stopped or

3) Manually prevent the realignment pages from being printed.

Thanks in advance,

DQY

HP Recommended

you were very rude this can be very frustrating therefore you do need to be kind.  Try unpluging your machine it worked for me. while you were raging her did you ever tell her to try that.

HP Recommended

I am a PC technician.

After I saw 5 canon printers of the same type (Pixma MP520 and two MP540) dying unexpectedly with the same root cause - motherboard error, I returned back to HP's. There is probably something in Canon printers causing their "death" after some time of using to buy another one.

I haven't seen this on HP. There are other problems, also with the motherboards, but they don't seem to me as "programmed death", as at Canons. Thank you HP guys for a quality product!

I have also met problem with the annoying aligning page mentioned here. This was caused by

1) Bad scanner (it is enough to have something in it way causing not exactly linear movement), on normal page must not been apparent,

2) Dried color cartridge user does not need and buy

3) After refilling the old cartridge with not enough transparent color or with some nozzles clogged (HP guys probably does not like to hear it)

There are two my solutions (tested on PSC1510):

1) Press Cancel button at start of printing the align page - until next turn off of the printer will not bother you

2) get somewhere test align page, it is not necessary to be from the same printer, but from the same or similar type, and finish alignment with this "fake" test page; after this keep it for the next cartridge changing.

HP Recommended

I did completed the alignment. Yet it seems like the memory tends to reset everytime I powered off the printer.

Alot of times, the printer wasn't in used. But just because I shut down the PC and off all related power plug at the end of the day. I will get another new print the next day I boot my PC.

-_-

Also its fairly annoying you get yet another new alighment print just because you on the printer just to use the scanner.

I estimate that for each cartridge refill session, I'll end up having about 20 copies of alighment page.

Every user would agrees with me how annoying this is. Except for the developer. K

Im almost thinking of buying a new print now just becus of this annoyance.

I just booted the printer minutes ago to scan a shopping receipt, now I'm talking with you with my stacks of alighment print in my hand.

And that freaking pop out constantly telling me to align everytime I reboot my PC. Its like I spent a hundred bucks to get advertisement, when I'm not using the printer -_-

MODEL: HP Deskjet 2050

HP Recommended

I just found your post and tried it after trying dozens of other fixes.  It absolutely works!  There are also times I run my printer with just the black ink cartridge in it and, thus, get a box that says "single cartridge" which also has to be clicked.  Clickoff takes care of both the alignment and single cartridge boxes.  Wish I had found this much sooner.  Thanks for your imput.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.