Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I currently have an HP Office Jet J6480 and a large supply of 74xl ink cartridges (purchaed a business that had them). What other HP printers use this ink cartridge ?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

The HP Pageyield site lists the following printers compatible with the 74xl:

Compatible printers (released since July 2005)

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

are cartridges 74 and 74XL used for the same printer?   I wondered if 74XL is for the same printer only with extra ink for more page prints.  My printer in an HPC5280.

HP Recommended
???
HP Recommended

@petit wrote:

are cartridges 74 and 74XL used for the same printer?   I wondered if 74XL is for the same printer only with extra ink for more page prints.  My printer in an HPC5280.

Generally yes, but there may be some exceptions where a printer can take the 74 but not the 74XL.   You can find which cartridges work with a specific printer and region from HP's SureSupply site.  In the US the C5280 uses either the 74 or 74XL.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

My printer blinks when I install an HP74XL.  It says check printer documentation, but there is nothing to address the problem in the documentation.

HP Recommended

Hello pgholley,

Which document did you follow? which lights are blinking? How are you installing the HP74XL?

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

The little pop up window on the front left has a gold blinking light and the message says, "See printer documentation."  I went to the user manual on page 23 and then page 12, but neither addresses the problem.  As far as  how I am installing the cartridge, I just put it in like I do a regular HP74.  It clicks in.

HP Recommended

Hello pgholley,

Please refer to this blinking lights document. Which link you follow will depend on what your are seeing on your printer.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

looking for a printer that uses 74xl

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.