Question

Student
lgreta98
Message 1 of 3 (1,412 Views)

"CARTRIDGE INCORRECTLY INSTALLED"

I purchased this4500n Officejet a few months ago at Costco specifically because they said the cartridges could be refilled there. The first one I had refilled (color) was accepted just fine by the printer. However, after installing this new black cartridge, I'm getting an error message "CARTRIDGE INCORRECTLY INSTALLED."  I've double-checked to make sure it's installed correctly, I've restarted the printer, I even cleaned the copper contacts (shutting the power off, then turning on after 10 minutes and letting the cartridge dry.) Any other ideas? Thank you..

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (1,402 Views)

Re: "CARTRIDGE INCORRECTLY INSTALLED"

The cartridge was likely damaged in the refilling process (or you got a different cartrdige than the one you took in, and the one you got was damaged).  The quality of refills varies widely but is generally poor, see http://www.qualitylogic.com/2009HPinktest.pdf for test results.  A fresh HP cartridge should resolve your issue.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
snabel74
Message 3 of 3 (1,113 Views)

Re: "CARTRIDGE INCORRECTLY INSTALLED"

I have also bought the HP officejet 4500 wireless printer from costco and as soon as we inserted the tri-color ink cartridge that was included in the box it said it was incorrectly installed. We have tried all the steps listed online and we are out of ideas, please help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation