Question

Top Student
notpcsavvy
Message 1 of 29 (13,366 Views)

refilled cartridges

How can I make the Printer or PC recognize refilled cartridges? I have an HP L7680.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 29 (13,354 Views)

Re: refilled cartridges

There is no way to get the printer to recognize the refilled cartridge. If the printer rejects it, then install a genuine HP cartridge.

WARNING: INSTALLING REFILLED INK CARTRIDGES ON THIS PRINTER CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THE PRINTING SYSTEM. HP WILL NOT FIX THE PRINTER FREE OF COST IN SUCH CASES. 

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
pepelepeugh
Message 3 of 29 (13,334 Views)

Okay, you're like totally joking, right?!?  HP won't even accept it's OWN brand new cartridges, I wouldn't know about any others because I wouldn't dare try. I've never had so much trouble changing getting a printer to accept it's own name brand cartridges so I wouldn't even THINK of trying a re-manufactured anything, not even HP's own. I have struggled and struggled with this for the past 2 years since making the huge mistake of buying HP. Every cartridge change is a 2-day nightmare event with multiple tech communiques (all completely worthless BTW) and I long ago gave up getting it to recognize the ink level once I finally coaxed it into recognizing it's very own, name-brand HP manufactured NEW ink cartridges.

So, after this stupid, flippant post by an HP "employee" I've come to a decision. I'm dumping my HP printers in the dumpster (yeah, stupid me has 2 of them - bought the 2nd before I realized how terrible HP products really are. Guess I should have known from the well-known crappy computers....sigh.)

Anyway, I'm going back to the Lexmark printers. Never, EVER had a problem getting those to accept cartridges, including the Lexmark remanufactured ones, let alone new ones.

....Hmmm.... BTW, what ARE the brand name refill programs for if not to refill/refurbish their own cartridges? You know, thereby saving the landfills billions of tons of plastic that will never decompose? I do believe HP has a similar program (I know they do), so maybe the aforementioned employee ought to find out what's happening in his own company before jumping to conclusions and making rude posts and further angering customers. (Is a supervisor "listening?")

PLP

Disclaimer:

I am NOT an HP employee, and my posting DOES represent my experienced opinion about the worthless piece of crap HP printers. Unfortunately, 2 more - rather large - items will be adding to the landfills because there's nothing else that can be done with them - burning them would be worse because of the toxic fumes from burning plastic.  :-(

(When I finish my training I'll be in a position to oversee the purchase printers and other hardware for various large companies. Can you guess which company I WON'T be looking at?!   ;-)

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 29 (13,369 Views)

What conclusions am I jumping to? Seems like you are the only one jumping to conclusions, like thinking I dont know about the HP recycling program.

PS: Making a straightforward post and post the facts as it is doesn't make it a rude post.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
notpcsavvy
Message 5 of 29 (13,341 Views)

I am not buying this answer, particularly from an HP employee (no offense). The HP help line gave the same scripted answer. So HP printers will be damaged by ink from a refilled cartridge?? From what I can gather online, Lexmark, Cannon, Brother all work with refilled ink. Does this mean that their products are superio?

I am not a computer guy, but this seems like something that the computer / tech world would have solved already.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 29 (13,337 Views)

You still didnt answer my question about what conclusions I was jumping to.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
rlsmtaylor
Message 7 of 29 (13,303 Views)

We have  Deskjet 5940. I have been using refilled cartridges from a well known company successfully, but last time it refused to recognize a new colour cartridge. I have replaced it with a new one, and it still won't recognize it. There are several comments on this thread but no answers. Help!
Top Student
notpcsavvy
Message 8 of 29 (13,287 Views)

Intersting that the refilled cartridges worked for a while, but now it is an issue. Leads me to think that an update to your system / drivers by HP had an effect.

Don't look for any help from an HP employee for your issue on this forum. They appear to be limited to scripted responses.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 9 of 29 (13,220 Views)

[ Edited ]

notpcsavvy wrote:

I am not buying this answer, particularly from an HP employee (no offense). The HP help line gave the same scripted answer. So HP printers will be damaged by ink from a refilled cartridge?? From what I can gather online, Lexmark, Cannon, Brother all work with refilled ink. Does this mean that their products are superio?

I am not a computer guy, but this seems like something that the computer / tech world would have solved already.

You're not a "computer guy". I guess that's why you havent thought about the possibility of different printers working differently. Some cartridges have integrated printheads, and in some, the printhead is a separate part. And the Officejet Pro L series printers use the latter. And in this system, refilled ink can actually cause problems in the printheads, which in some cases, cannot be replaced, and the printer will need to be fixed. Not the case for the former type of cartridges. If the printheads go bad on the cartridge, then replacing the cartridge will fix the problem. THAT is why I said that using refilled cartridges on this printer will damage the printer. 

The online community represents only a fraction of users of any product. It may have worked for them, but there is no guarantee that it'll work for you or anybody else. Lexmark, Canon, Brother, etc., all of them design their printers to work with their cartridges, and not any other cartridges. They HAVE to do it, or else, they lose revenue that could've been possibly generated by customers buying their genuine cartridges, and not use refilled/remanufactured ones. Unfortunately, no system is fool-proof, and people find ways to have their refilled cartridges work, which, again, is not fool-proof, and some refilled cartridges will fail to work. I can challenge you to try refilled cartridges on any of these brands for a year. I am almost certain that your success rate will not be a 100%. 

PS: No need to buy this answer. I'm giving it to you for free, just like all the other posts in this forum. Good luck. 

Message Edited by DexterM on 31/08/2009 01:18 AM
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
rlsmtaylor
Message 10 of 29 (13,220 Views)

But what do I do? Can I get our HP5940 to recognize the new cartridge? Is it damaged? 
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation