Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I use the standard HP 74 black ink jet cartridge for "everyday" home printing on my Officejet J6480 printer.  Can I use the 74XL cartridge in my printer even though it is marketed as a "value cartridge for high-volume printing?  I don't do "high-volume" printing but want to save money.    It's like buying a gallon of milk instead of paying more for 4 quarts.  Just want to make sure the "gallon" will fit and work in my printer.  thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

"High volume" is relative.  Yes, you can use the XL cartridges, they are the same physical size.  The "standard" cartridges are really suited for folks that do not print much at all, where an XL cartrdige might fail from old age before the ink is used.  If you use a standard cartridge in less than three months the XL cartrdiges would probably be a better value for you.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

"High volume" is relative.  Yes, you can use the XL cartridges, they are the same physical size.  The "standard" cartridges are really suited for folks that do not print much at all, where an XL cartrdige might fail from old age before the ink is used.  If you use a standard cartridge in less than three months the XL cartrdiges would probably be a better value for you.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have an HP PhotoSmart C4280, and bought a black XL cartridge set at Costco.  It was far bigger than the original non-XL, and I didn't dare try putting it in the printer, so I returned it and bought the regular cartridge from HP. 

(The HP book at Costco said the XL was the correct cartridge, and they didn't have the non-XL regular size.)

Should the XL fit even though it is about 3/4 of an inch longer than the non-XL? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.