t790 plotter - end of roll problem (377 Views)
Student
paul_ch
Message 1 of 2 (377 Views)

t790 plotter - end of roll problem

for reference I'll point out up front that we purchased this unit around the beginning of the year and very recently had to have the firmware upgraded which also required a new controller board and hard drive.

The current problem occures when at the end of the roll - instead of the plotter stopping and alerting the user to the media being at the end of roll it will forceibly pull the (film in our case) media off the cardboard core roll and continue printing until it can't advance the media any further. If the leftover segment isn't long enough it gets trapped in between the print area which requires very careful removal. The plot rolls we use are Ikon Plotjet/C/24 24" x 100' 4 mil Clear Ink Jet Film which we use for plotting inspection overlays - The roll has a separate white bond sheet that feeds along with the film and is used for machine registration of the edge of the media (considering it being clear film). However, it seems the sensing of the end of the roll is not working very well. Most of the time it seems to work but sometimes what I think happens is the paper starts separating from the film as the roll gets smaller due to differences in tension between the media layers - enough so that it is unable to sense the edge of the media. (This may or may not be the case). I merely pointing this out as a possiblity. Our concern is that we will experience a jam as a result. (which we already have at least once) As it is the film gets stuck in the machine and continues to print over and over until the job is finished.  I would like to minimize (if not eliminate) the possibility of our machine jamming because of this. Any suggestions?

There is another type of roll with white film edging that adheres directly to the clear film that gets peeled off after it plots  -  but the white strips bubble and separate due to temperature and/or tension in the roll and can cause severe jamming.

This unit should really have been designed with a tensioner to keep constant tension on the media as it feeds so that it wouldn't separate or jam like it does. Or at least have some way for the user to know when this condition is going to cause a problem and interrupt the process before it does. 

I would appreciate feedback on this.

Thanks,

Paul

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 2 (369 Views)

Re: t790 plotter - end of roll problem

This seems to be a commercial product. For the best chance at finding a solution I would suggest posting in the forum for HP Business Support!

You can find the Commercial Designjet board here:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Designjet-Large-Format/bd-p/bsc-414

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation