Question

Honor Student
SKE12
Message 1 of 17 (18,692 Views)

unable to communicate with printer

How do I enable keep-alive on HP Officejet Pro 8600?

I purchased this all-in-one directly from HP online 2 weeks ago.

This issue has been asked; answers give by HP do not work, to-wit: "Change the ink alerts setting"; i.e., "show me ink alerts when I print."  I did this.  Nope.  Did not keep me connected.

What actually happens with this printer (and software is fully updated on mine) is that after the printer goes to sleep, it drops the network connection completely.  I have tested both ethernet and wireless, and it has the exact same issue both ways.  I cannot even access the internet unless I reboot.

The lights on the LED display show that it is still connected, and in fact if you go into settings to view, it still has whatever IP address you gave it or dhcp gave it, same hostname, etc.  But printing is N/A, web config is N/A from the PC (Win XP) so for all purposes, then printer is OFFLINE but still appears on the printer itself as if it's online.

Two (2) ways to get it back - 1) reboot, or 2) disconnect/reconnect network connectivity type.

I've gone through all settings and can't see anything relating to keeping the printer on the network even in sleep mode.  

My question is this HP - what good is a network/wireless/eprint printer that won't stay connected to the internet/network? This printer has fantastic features, but this is the most annoying problem a network printer can have!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 17 (18,684 Views)

Re: unable to communicate with printer

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model (there are several Officejet Pro 8600 models)?  If you have an Officejet Pro 8600 N911a model there is a firmware update here that may address the issue.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
SKE12
Message 3 of 17 (18,678 Views)

Hello, Bob,

My Product is HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.

Model number is N911g.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 17 (18,671 Views)

OK, for the N911g there is a firmware update available here.  One of the features it mentions for the new firmware is "improved performance in wireless connectivity"

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
SKE12
Message 5 of 17 (18,667 Views)

Thanks, but the link to the firmware "update" reveals it to be the same as that already installed on my N911g: CLP1CN1150CR.  Any other ideas?  I appreicate your assistance.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 17 (18,664 Views)

Sorry, I am out of ideas.  Perhaps someone else here will suggest something.

Student
dnewman1958
Message 7 of 17 (18,048 Views)

I am having the exact same problem except that now I can't print at all whether I reboot or not.  My printer firmware is up-to-date and so is my router firmway.  I have the same printer.  It doesn't matter whether or not my printer is set for wireless or is hard-wired to the router.  It was working great the first month, then it stopped waking up when a print command was sent and now it doesn't matter whether it's sleeping or not.  I get the same exact error.  I'm just sick.  This is for my business!

Honor Student
kurtjthomas
Message 8 of 17 (17,821 Views)

I have the same problem. Do you have McAfee Antivirus? I am trying to see if there is a link.

Student
trymaybe
Message 9 of 17 (17,812 Views)

Actually, I believe it WAS McAfee.  There were two files I had to make exceptions to the Firewall for.  That didn't necessarily fix it because twice I've had to kill the firewall in order to print.  I couldn't find another file that it might be blocking, but then it just started working again.   I've also added an HP update since then, so I'm not sure exactly what fixed it.  At least I'm hoping it's fixed!

Honor Student
HPARETHEWORST
Message 10 of 17 (17,282 Views)

1. HP are the worst and I swore never to use them after the Pavilion DV 9000 Crap which burnt after 1 year and HP extended the warranty for free.

2. I find myself agin in HP misery and have wasted two entire days with the brand new officejet8600 I bought yesterday for work and business.

3. I have done all the crap suggested, latest software on the printer, the router, the driver. On - off, "only notify me when I print" everything in all of these forums, Troubleshooter Doctor, diagnostics.

Nothing effing works, I am SICK TO THE HILT OF HP AND THEIR CRAP. TO MAKE IT WORSE, YOU CANT SPEAK TO ANYONE AND SPEND HOURS TRAWLING THE INTERNET TO FIND A SOLUTION TO FIND THAT THERE ARE THOUSANDS (just look at the number of views on the threads, can't be by random that people are looking at these threads).

HP BETTER RESPOND OR I AM RETURNING THIS TO THE SHOP TOMORROW, BOYCOTTING HP AND WILL FOREVER BAD MOUTH.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW ALL THE TESTS SAY I AM CONNECTED, "NO PROBLEMS. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SUCCESSFUL SETUP OF YOUR PRINTER". ALL THE TEST PRINTS, PRINT WIRELESSLY, MY IPAD CAN PRINT WIRELESSY, BUT MY **bleep**IMNG COMPUTER CAN'T. IT STARTS TRANSMITTING INFO AND THEN CUTS OFF HALF WAY THROUGH.

IN 2012 THIS IS A DEBACLE OF MONU-**bleep**ING-MENTAL PROPORTIONS AND COSTING ME TIME AND MONEY.

I HOPE HP NO LONGER EXISTS.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation