why do the colored inks print on HP 7500A, but not the black ink? (2779 Views)
Top Student
Legs1616
Message 1 of 8 (2,779 Views)

why do the colored inks print on HP 7500A, but not the black ink?

I have tried all the fixes online. Diagnostics says everything is fine, but the black will not print.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 8 (2,777 Views)

Re: why do the colored inks print on HP 7500A, but not the black ink?

If you have done the steps here without success the post here may help.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Top Student
Legs1616
Message 3 of 8 (2,763 Views)

Thanks, Bob....I tried everything I could find online including installing new firmware, new drivers, changing the cartridge, takiing ou the printhead and cleaning the contacts....I can still print in pure colors....no shading, of curse because the black is still not printing. I think the printhead must be ok id it prints colors perfectly..I did diagnosticsm ran the Print Doctor but still.....it won't print black. Am not willing to spend another dime on this printer. I see online that lots of people suddenly have the same problem, but everything I've seen suggested I have tried and still..............nothing. Thanks for attempting to help me. The thing that bothers me the most is that it all happened the very day I was out of warranty..makes me thing something was programmed into the printer to go belly up!

Legs

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 8 (2,748 Views)

Legs1616 wrote:

Thanks, Bob....I tried everything I could find online including installing new firmware, new drivers, changing the cartridge, takiing ou the printhead and cleaning the contacts... [snip]

Did you try my suggestion in this post?

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Honor Student
armitage
Message 5 of 8 (2,665 Views)

how do you get the printer to do true black in photo`s

its only using colour to make black

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 8 (2,656 Views)

armitage wrote:

how do you get the printer to do true black in photo`s

its only using colour to make black

The black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  If you have selected photo paper (or automatic and photo paper is detected) color inks will be used to make the black areas.  Black ink will be used when printing on plain paper, most special inkjet papers and transparancy media.

Honor Student
armitage
Message 7 of 8 (2,643 Views)

how is the black ink not compatible with the photo paper

and should not say on the box about this problem

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 8 (2,633 Views)

The black ink is pigmented and the printhead is optimized for printing text.  Typically glossy coated photo paper is not compatible with pigmented inks.  The color inks are dye based and suitable for printing on glossy photo paper.  

The Officejet 7500a is a product designed for office applications.  HP makes printers optimized for photo printing, generally the Photosmart products.  Many of these models have two different black cartridges, the pigmented black for text and a photo (black) cartridge for photo's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation