Question

Honor Student
Steve66
Message 1 of 7 (694 Views)

yellow exclamation point lights up at ac power application -- intermittent

Hi, my system info: hp C6280 connected to a network with 2 PCs, Windows XP-printer connection via USB and Windows Vista -printer connection via wifi and the XP system's USB cable.

This problem is an intermittent thing, approximately 1 morning out of 5. When I turn on my power strip, the printer's yellow exclamation point lights up. I believe that exclamation point is usually intended to alert me to a message in the display. When this problem occurs at power on, the printer has not been turned on via the ON button, therefore the display is not on. In fact, the printer will not turn on. To turn the printer on, I have to cycle the AC power OFF/ON (I usually do this by removing/replacing the power cord on the rear of the printer since the power strip also provides power to the PC, monitor etc). This may have started when I set up the network described above -- hard to know for sure since it is quite intermittent. I sometimes forget to turn the printer off before turning the power strip off at night -- I haven't seen a relation to this problem.

Thanks for any help

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 2 of 7 (681 Views)

Re: yellow exclamation point lights up at ac power application -- intermittent

Hello, Could you clarify your statement?, you mentioned that your HP Photosmart C6280 All-in-One Printer is connected to a network with two PC's,  but you mentioned a USB connection on two and another one with WiFi. 

Let me know your feedback so I can help you with your problem. 

I am an HP employee, Printer/All-in-One Expert.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Honor Student
Steve66
Message 3 of 7 (678 Views)

There are 2 PCs. The one with XP connects to the printer via USB. The one with Vista goes by wifi to the router, via ethernet cable to the PC with XP, and then to the printer via USB.

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 4 of 7 (672 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, I now  understand how you are connecting your printer to the two PCs; to be quite honest, I have not seen this kind of connection in a network environment (USB & Ethernet) in our printers but I am not saying that it can not work neither. 

I guess that this connection may create a conflict in the unit and presents that behaivour while powering it up.

Would you like to give it a try and connect the printer via ethernet only?  Here there is how to perform that:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01710137&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3194498

Let me know if this solves the problem.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Honor Student
Steve66
Message 5 of 7 (668 Views)

If I understand the connection you are proposing, my wife's laptop (the PC running Vista) would be tied to an ethernet cable. She usually uses it in the same room as the other gear, but would like to be able to carry her laptop elsewhere, for instance out on the deck in good weather.

This setup does work, once I clear the exclamation point via power off/on at the printer. The XP system is setup to allow other computers on the network to share the printer. It seems to me that the printer should not even know that there is more than one computer sending it print jobs since the XP system plays middle-man for the laptop's printer work. Is that not true?

I'm not sure you understand that this exclamation point problem appears only when the printer has AC power applied but has not been turned on via the ON button. In fact, when this condition exists, it can not be turned on without cycling power.

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 6 of 7 (666 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, I meant to connect the printer via Ethernet to the router and then the PC's in any other way (wireless or wire) to the  printer. In this case you do not have to rely on having a PC between the Printer  and any other PC and always on. Your wife's laptop can still be connected wirelessly and still have a connection to the printer in your network environment. 

If there is no error on the display when the exclamation light is on, I am guessing that the problem may be then a power issue, but I would eliminate the connection variable (USB and Ethernet)  before we may troubleshoot the unit.

You can follow the steps in this link to connect the unit  via ethernet, then install the driver in every computer connected to your network that may need to use this printer:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01147652.pdf  (jump to the step where the unit is connected to via ethernet, page 5)

Honor Student
Steve66
Message 7 of 7 (661 Views)

OK. Thank you for your suggestions. I'll need to obtain another ethernet cable so it'll be a while before I try this.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation