Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer is not working due to a "door open" error. I have tried restarting the printer, changing the cartridges; I have tried restarting the print spooler through the control panel (as suggested for a different model). I cannot find any other solutions to try. Is there a sensor somewhere on the printer that might be in need of repair. If so, where would that sensor be located? Anything else you can think of that might work?

Thank you for any offered advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

The "door open" message will only appear when the front door is open or if something is wrong with the sensor and sensor flag.

The door sensor is visible when the door is open -- located on the left side of the opening, just about an inch below a silver screw head. (kind of hard to describe where it is.) The sensor is a black horizontal bar. If you see it, try pressing it in with something thin like a paper clip. Press the sensor in about a 1/2". If the "door open" message goes away, then you know your sensor is good. Next look to see where the sensor flag is located on the back of the door. Again, it's on the left side toward the top of the door. The flag is simply a section of plastic that that sticks out far enough to engage the sensor. Let me know what you observe.

Miles
HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello,

The "door open" message will only appear when the front door is open or if something is wrong with the sensor and sensor flag.

The door sensor is visible when the door is open -- located on the left side of the opening, just about an inch below a silver screw head. (kind of hard to describe where it is.) The sensor is a black horizontal bar. If you see it, try pressing it in with something thin like a paper clip. Press the sensor in about a 1/2". If the "door open" message goes away, then you know your sensor is good. Next look to see where the sensor flag is located on the back of the door. Again, it's on the left side toward the top of the door. The flag is simply a section of plastic that that sticks out far enough to engage the sensor. Let me know what you observe.

Miles
HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks! I found the flag on the floor and was able to figure out where to replace it from your directions.

HP Recommended

Are you guys sure the C4480 has a removable "flag" for the door sensor?

I am getting the same error message "door open"...and it's been driving me crazy....opened the brand new printer a week ago and have spent the entire week trying to fix it.

The "flag" on my C4480 seems to be built in and part of the door, and in no way removable as stated in the previous post where someone "found" the flag on the floor.

Any other suggestions for "door open" error message, which is preventing me from doing anything.

Is there any way to simply disable the door sensor?

Thanks !

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue - HP Photosmart C4480 with "Door Open" message when door is shut.

No sign of black sensor 1 inch below silver screw on left side.  Flag on door is fixed, hard white plastic tab.

Is there anything that I can try in order to fix this?

HP Recommended

The "flag" they are talking about is the black piece of plastic that pivots up to interrupt the door sensor. Kind of a bizarre design in my opinion as they are just adding extra parts. The tab on the left side of the actual door could just as easily disrupt the sensor. Regardless, I disassembled mine because I am having the same problem. Everything is working fine except for the sensor in my case, and perhaps yours as well. So I'm still left with an out of commission printer unless somebody actually knows a way to disable the sensor.

HP Recommended

Having the same problem really could use some help with the "door open " error.

HP Recommended

While I can't advise you open your printer and break a piece of it off, I did find a solution. I opened the printer and underneath of the display screen area on the left side there is an optical sensor. This part is black and consists of two small plastic 'towers'. I broke this part completely off and re-assembled the printer. The door open message is now gone and the printer will print. It is still a piece of junk printer either way. It often pulls in multiple sheets of paper or just one piece of paper and then says paper jam. Do what you can and if it doesn't work, just buy a non-HP printer. I'm not sure why it took me so many printers to figure this out, but I get it now. Quality is not their forte.

HP Recommended

hello,

my desk jet 3230 says door open even when it is not open.I have tried to look for the sensor so i can fix it manually but i have filled. could any one please come to ma rescue.

thanks

Anthony

HP Recommended
So, it's 2015 and my door open message just happened. Since door was closed I found this post - it worked. Unscrew 6 hex head screws, 2 on each side and 2 under the door front. Popped off the printer two plastic side panels. Cracked open the printer. Used my needle nose pliers to twist off the two small plastic towers right under the display panel, and then pinched off (broke) the tiny plastic tip on each of the sensors. Screwed back together and it worked. About 15 minutes.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.