Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks to the great folks over at Aceeca.com (makers of NEW PalmOS Garnet devices), USB drivers for 64bit Vista, Windows 7, and Win 8 operating systems are available.  There are many users reporting Palm Desktop 4.x is also working. 

I have synced my TX to my Vista64 bit laptop, and Windows 8.1 HP Spectre X2 hybrid successfully via my USB cable.  🙂

The drivers are located here:

Aceeca Driver Downloads

(NOTE:  As of today, 8/1/2016 the Aceeca website has be down for "construction".  The drivers can also be found here:  http://www.palmdr.com/windows-7-64-bit-usb-drivers)

Installation instructions (from Aceeca) for Windows 7 are included in the download.

Basic instructions:

1. Download the drivers and Extract them to the same folder.  Remember the folder you extracted them to.

2. Try to HotSync your device.  It will fail.

3. Open the Device Manager, and look for the Yellow Triangle next to either "Acceca" or "Palm Device" under "Other devices".

4. Right-click on the device, and choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Choose "Browse My Computer for Software" and direct it to the folder you extracted the Aceeca drivers to.

6. Choose "Next" at the driver file location window, and then tell it to "Always trust software from Aceeca Ltd." then click the "Install" button.

7. I received an error message (Vista64) that told me "The drivers were installed but the device couldn't be opened." I saw that my TX had timed out and went to sleep.  I tried a HotSync and it worked!!!  😄

Good luck! 

NOTE:  Palm Desktop 6.22 may only show Media and Install.  Here's how to fix that:

If Palm Desktop 6.2.2 only shows Media and Install, try this:  Right-click on the shortcut for Palm Desktop, then choose "Run as Administrator".  The ther modules should appear.

To make Palm Desktop Run as Administrator every time in Windows 8/8.1:

Close Palm Desktop, if open.  (This is a very important thing to always do when using 6.2.2 - it has been known to lose data when a computer is shut down without closing the program!)

Right Click on the Palm Desktop Icon in the Metro screen, then choose "Open File Location".  You will now see the actual file for the shortcut.

Right-click on the "Palm Desktop" shortcut file, then Properties.  Now pick the Compatibility Tab at the top.

At the bottom of the Compatibility Tab is a checkbox:  "Run this Program as Administrator", Click OK .

Try opening Palm Desktop, all the parts should appear.  You may see a box open when you close the program asking "Did the program run correctly?"   I picked "Yes", and it's been working fine since then!

If you are using a much older PalmOS device and want to try using Palm Desktop 4.x, you will need this additional patch from Pimlico Software:

Palm HotSync Setup

WyreNut

Forum member bobboffin has added this post:

"After attempting your first HotSync and failing (as expected) you may be unable to find any trace of the device in Device Manager, making the next step quite difficult. This happened to me, and after some investigation I discovered the following tip that allows Device Manager to show hidden and non-present devices.

Open up Notepad and paste the following two lines into it:

set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
start devmgmt.msc

Save it as SetDev.bat into My Documents.

Open My Documents in Windows Explorer and double click on SetDev.bat. Device Manager should open.

In the View menu select Show Hidden Devices.

You may now see under the Other heading the failed device with a yellow triangle against it.

You can now proceed to install the drivers per the instructions.

Note that the driver supports most Palm OS versions. I'm actually using an Aceeca Meazura 1000 ruggedized PDA running OS 4.1  --- bobboffin"

Hope this helps!

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pattirclark wrote:

SUCCESS.. after writing my last reply indicating no connectivity, I tried it one last time and success for both Palm 22 and Palm 71 devices syncing with Windows 8 64-bit.  Thanks again  to WyreNut for all the support as i know this Forum is a benefit for those with limited computer knowledge and your detailed suggestions worked perfectly...

Thanks again..

And Thank You! pattirclark!  You are the first person to report success with the Aceeca drivers and Windows 8!!

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
HP Recommended

I have gotten the aceeca drivers installed successfully, but my palm zire 71 will still not hotsync.  It shows up in the Device manager as a palm device but when i select Hotsync it just doesn't run.   i have rebooted several times and still not currently able to hotsync with Windows 8 64 bit version.  I am still at a loss as to what my options might be with the current models of palm.  Any and all suggestions welcome.. thanks

HP Recommended

SUCCESS.. after writing my last reply indicating no connectivity, I tried it one last time and success for both Palm 22 and Palm 71 devices syncing with Windows 8 64-bit.  Thanks again  to WyreNut for all the support as i know this Forum is a benefit for those with limited computer knowledge and your detailed suggestions worked perfectly...

Thanks again..

HP Recommended

@pattirclark wrote:

Thanks again..

And Thank You! pattirclark!  You are the first person to report success with the Aceeca drivers and Windows 8!!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  I was thoroughly disappointed to see that the support telephone for paid support had been discontinued.  I thought I would need to replace my (ancient but serviceable) Z22. 

I followed the instructions listed here and am very happy to report that I completed a sync!

Thanks again.

HP Recommended
Yes it is nice to have people dedicated to finding solutions verses the corporate entities who look at everything as an expense rather than true Customer Satisfaction activities.
HP Recommended

I have a zire 71.  I really struggled getting hot sync to work in conjunction with the new driver.  When attempting to install I got the error: Windows encountered error while attempting to install the driver.  This device cannot start (code 10).  Finally, the winning combination was: I plugged the cradle into a different USB port,  I removed the hand held from the cradle,  I rebooted the system, I tried a hotsync and it worked.  I then plugged back into the original usb port and hotsync was still successful.  I spent a couple of hours on this before being successful.

HP Recommended

@cynmarq wrote:

I have a zire 71.  I really struggled getting hot sync to work in conjunction with the new driver.  When attempting to install I got the error: Windows encountered error while attempting to install the driver.  This device cannot start (code 10).  Finally, the winning combination was: I plugged the cradle into a different USB port,  I removed the hand held from the cradle,  I rebooted the system, I tried a hotsync and it worked.  I then plugged back into the original usb port and hotsync was still successful.  I spent a couple of hours on this before being successful.

Thanks for reporting your success, cynmarq!  🙂

WyreNut

HP Recommended

I am in the process of downloading the 64-bit Palm drivers from Aceera and I must confess I am a little confused by the process and need help.

The directions say to download the drivers and unpack them and remember the folder you unpacked the drivers to.  I downloaded the drivers into a folder on my computer called "Downloads".  When I click on the folder that has a zipper on it it opens and I see 5 files; a file with installation instructions and 4 other files.  Which files will I need in order to make the sync process work?

The instructions written by WyreNut also talk about when I am installing the drivers to "direct to the Aceera folder you unpacked the drivers to . . ."  When I clicked on the zipped folder I downloaded it opened and showed me the 5 files I mentioned above.  Do I need to create a separate folder and call it "Aceera" and put some of the files into it?  If I do need to create an "Aceera" folder which files do I need to put in it?

Thanks.

HP Recommended
CompDave1
You need to Right click the zipped folder, click Extract all/ Extract.
The default destination for the Unpacked driver folder will be Downloads
You will now be able to install 64 bit Driver from the Unpacked folder
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.