Question

Student
blitonm
Message 1 of 3 (21 Views)

How I Solved My Problem Where Hotsync Would Freeze on Calendar (Palm Desktop 4.2)

I am running Windows XP and installed Palm Desktop 6.2.2 for my Palm TX.  I got very annoyed at the slow sync performance and how long it would take to exit Palm Desktop.  I also had a problem where my todo database got corrupted (something that never happened with previous versions of Palm Desktop).  I then learned, via the Palm forums, that I wasn't alone and that 6.2.2 was mainly for Windows Vista support.

After reading several forum postings, I decided to 'downgrade' my Palm Desktop software to version 4.2 (that came with my Palm TX).  I backed everything up, performed an uninstall of 6.2.2, cleaned my Registry, and deleted any stray files.  I then installed Palm Desktop 4.2.  When I attempted to hotsync, it would freeze on Calendar.  I tried several times and even left the sync process to run several hours.  The only way I could exit hotsync was to perform an 'end process' from Task Manager.  Nothing worked.  By customizing Hotsync and changing Calendar to 'Do Nothing' everything else would complete.

I then read about a great utility from users on the Palm forum.  It is called DbFixIt from Pimlico Software (www.pimlicosoftware.com).  I added the .prc program to my palm via Quick Install and changed Calendar in hotsync to 'Do Nothing'.  I then synced toe application over.  I ran the application and it discovered a single corrupt Calendar record (blob overrun) on 10/13/98.  On my Palm TX, I went to that date and discovered an event with a  box-like ascii symbol as the event title.  I deleted that record and was able to hotsync successfully.

Thanks to members of the forum I was able to get this resolved.

Post relates to: Palm TX

Grad Student
Tungstenman
Message 2 of 3 (21 Views)

Re: How I Solved My Problem Where Hotsync Would Freeze on Calendar (Palm Desktop 4.2)

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

DBFixit by Pimlico software can be a god send at times trying to find and fix corrupt data. Although by Palms standards it is considered 3rd party software we cannot support it, but let me tell you we recommend it all the time to our customers with data issues. It is designed to work on Palm OS's and does a great job. I'm glad it worked out for you. 

Student
adamss4
Message 3 of 3 (21 Views)

Re: How I Solved My Problem Where Hotsync Would Freeze on Calendar (Palm Desktop 4.2)

The DbFixit fix worked for me too - the calendar data entries tend to get corrupted.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation