Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks a million for the fantastic instructions and for the software! You saved my day! I was very lucky to find your post!!  I was in the same situation as you, I no longer use the handset, but the software is great!

HP Recommended

Glad we could help!  <big grin>   🙂

I fired up one of my Palm TX's today just for Old Time's Sake!  It had 50% charge, and was happy to see me!

Enjoy the simplicity of what once was!

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Help . . I had a Palm Treo and, unfortunately the screen has gone on it.    I had the Palm Program on my Windows laptop with XP and now have a laptop with windows 8.2 on it.    I have been trying, unsuccesfully, to transfer the data from my XP to my new laptop and cannot find the files that every web site has told me about.   I went into my old Palm Program on the C drive and there is NO file with my name there.  There was "one" file named R, which happened to be my middle initial, so I tried transfering that into the new file on my laptop (where I did download 6.2 and set it up) which has a file with my last name (first 5 of) and first initial of my first name and copied those files into that new file.   Still nothing.

I tried following information that told me to look for the file under the Documents and Settings and only found a Palm OS file in my ex roommates user area and that file is empty.   When I run search for the file called Palm OS, it is the only file to show up (nothing under my user name).   I am at a loss as I am able to see all the data in my old computer but have no idea where the date is to tranfer to the new computer.

Can anyone shed any light for me?

HP Recommended

Which version of Palm Desktop is installed on the XP computer?  4.x or 6.2.2?

Palm Desktop 4.x data in XP resides in C:\Program Files\Palm (or PalmOne)\<your HotSync name truncated>\Backup.  What are you seeing in this location?

As mentioned earlier, since Palm Desktop 4.x and 6.2 use different databases you should try using the Export and Import functions built into both versions. 

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I have version 4.2 on my XP and have recently installed 6.2.2 on to my laptop.

My problem is that I cannot find the file in my old laptop reflecting my user name with that file.

I have two user names in my drop down.   One is amante1wrl (which has nothing in it) and the other is my name, Wayne R and my last name.

In the location of MY document/settings I cannot find any file using EITHER.   In my  roommates sign is a file called AMANTE, BUT it has zero in it.

When I open up the file with my information, which is in the Wayne R and my last name and hit export, it brings up a window in the MY DOCUMENTS area and is looking for a file with .dba extension.   Where do I find the Wayne R file is it is not in any of the files?

Thank you in advance for your response.   GREATLY appreciated.

HP Recommended

I forgot to tell you that I did look in the extension you gave (program/palm/my truncated name/backup) and under amante there is NOTHING in the backup file (0 files).

There is NO truncated file using my name at all EXCEPT there is a "R" file (which there is not such file in the new palm one file), which has files in it and when I highlight they state the name of the file and that the type are "Palm Database Files"

Could this be the files that I need to bring over?    And, if so, how do I use the export to get them into the new file on my new laptop, which has a truncated version of my last name and first initial?

Thank you in advance.

Wayne

HP Recommended

@amante1wrl wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I have version 4.2 on my XP and have recently installed 6.2.2 on to my laptop.

My problem is that I cannot find the file in my old laptop reflecting my user name with that file.

I have two user names in my drop down.   One is amante1wrl (which has nothing in it) and the other is my name, Wayne R and my last name.

In the location of MY document/settings I cannot find any file using EITHER.   In my  roommates sign is a file called AMANTE, BUT it has zero in it.

When I open up the file with my information, which is in the Wayne R and my last name and hit export, it brings up a window in the MY DOCUMENTS area and is looking for a file with .dba extension.   Where do I find the Wayne R file is it is not in any of the files?

Thank you in advance for your response.   GREATLY appreciated.

When you hit "Export", I believe it already knows what to export - the data you are displaying at the moment.  I.E. open  Address, then choose File/Export.  I think it's asking you to provide a filename for the exported data.  (I don't have access to Palm Desktop right now).  Do you see an "Open" button, or "Export" in the dialogue on the PC?

Likewise, when the "Import" command is used in version 6.2, it will ask for the location of the file you just created.

Every installation of Palm Desktop 4.x I've used resulted in HotSync data going into the directory I posted above.  I've never seen anything go into "My Documents" with this version, however Palm Desktop does give you the option to install to a different directory IIRC.

WyreNut

HP Recommended

@amante1wrl wrote:

I forgot to tell you that I did look in the extension you gave (program/palm/my truncated name/backup) and under amante there is NOTHING in the backup file (0 files).

There is NO truncated file using my name at all EXCEPT there is a "R" file (which there is not such file in the new palm one file), which has files in it and when I highlight they state the name of the file and that the type are "Palm Database Files"

Could this be the files that I need to bring over?    And, if so, how do I use the export to get them into the new file on my new laptop, which has a truncated version of my last name and first initial?

Thank you in advance.

Wayne

We're not looking for a "truncated file" - just a short version of the HotSync Account name that was used on the Palm Treo.  This is a directory name.  The directory you typed above is incorrect.  It should be C:\Program Files\Palm\ <your hotsync account name> \Backup. 

You cannot "bring over" the same files.  As mentioned before, the new version is not using the same database format as the old version of Palm Desktop.   If using the same versions on both computers, then moving files would be easy.

WyreNut

HP Recommended

Thank you for the tip on using Export. 

I have the old Palm v. 4.1.4 (because I liked it better than it's successors) on my old Windows Vista laptop and am trying to get the data into the same Palm v. (I saved the setup file) on a Windows 7 laptop.  I have noticed the instructions previously about finding the data in a folder w/ a truncated name or another letter.  However, in the older Palm versions the data resides in a folder called, simply, 'O' (that's the letter, not a number).  I found it sitting among all my other Documents folders in my Windows User folder (C drive/Users/OEM or your Windows user name).

HP Recommended

I have used my Palm Desktop Access 6.2.2, for a long time. But suddenly my Calendar. Address Bk, Etc, no longer are in left menu area as supposed to be. … I Googled this problem, and found this link below, in which various Palm Desktop users describe same symptoms I have observed and what they tried (unsuccessfully), for a fix: Here =>

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Palm-and-WebOS/Lost-Palm-Desktop-Calendar-and-contacts-etc/td-p/2040931

This HP Supprt Forum page you are looking at now, is essentially a continuation of above, where you see the  (01-24-2013 07:49 AM). suggestion by WyreNut: => Try right-clicking on the shortcut for Palm Desktop, then choose "Run As Administrator". …

Since my symptoms on my Dell Latitude 6410 Series Windows 10 Laptop, were the same as this page & the above link, I tries the same fix, in every different way I could think of, even a new install of Palm Desktop Access 6.2.2, with no evidence of any change, and certainly my Calendar etc still missing. All else seeming working fine. …

At this point I asked my university computer department for help. The technician, using WyreNut’s clue that this is a permissions problem …. did the following > Desktop > Palm Desktop Icon Shortcut > Right Click > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > and arrange to put a check mark “Allow”, beside the following items: FullControl, Modify, Read&Execute, Read, Write, SpecialPermissins. Then hit OK…..  

Immediately after this, my Calendar, Address Book, To-Do, Memo, appears where they are supposed to be, on my otherwise normal functioning Access 6.2.2 Desktop Installation!!! Bravo Success!!!!

NOTE: If you don’t happen to have above-mentioned “Icon”, then there are other ways to find the above mentioned “Palm Desktop Properties” display: Perhaps the following will get you there:

1. A) Lower Left > Start > in box type Properties, or
  2. B) Lower Left > Start > in box type Palm Desktop > GoTo > PalmDesktop.exe Folder, and Right Click > Properties.

More information about this, and how to get your Access Palm Desktop to work on Windows 7, 8,  10  & Vista This is My Detailed Procedure for Successful Installation of Palm HotSync 64 Bit Drivers On Windows 64 bit Computers, at =>

http://venturearete.org/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/Documents/PalmHotSyncDriverWin7Vista64bit 

Questions may be sent to HenrySGurr__ gmail.com

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.