Question

Honor Student
GoneFishin6
Message 1 of 25 (9,118 Views)
Accepted Solution

Palm Desktop 6.2.2 under Windows 8 missing modules after update from version 4.1.4

After installing Palm Desktop 6.2.2 over version 4.1.4 on my Windows 8 Laptop for use with my Palm Tungsten E2, I now have only 4 modules...Expense, Note Pad, Media and Install. Where did Calendar, Addresses, etc., disappear to?

Also, the HotSync Manager version 7.0.2 offers USB, Network and Serial, but NOT Bluetooth in the Connections settings. I use a Bluetooth adapter from IVT BlueSoleil and their version 8.0.395.0 driver/software, that works fine with anything else.

Honor Student
Gafa80
Message 2 of 25 (9,097 Views)

Re: Palm Desktop 6.2.2 under Windows 8 missing modules after update from version 4.1.4

I run 6.2 on Windows 8 but can't sync. Today the Calendar & Address Book are missing.  Trie to reinstall but no Calendar & Address Book.  What happened.  I am giving up.  Are there any other PC software in the market place that has Calendar & Address book?

Provost
WyreNut
Message 3 of 25 (9,087 Views)

Re: Palm Desktop 6.2.2 under Windows 8 missing modules after update from version 4.1.4

Try right-clicking on the shortcut for Palm Desktop, then choose "Run as Administrator".

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Honor Student
GoneFishin6
Message 4 of 25 (9,038 Views)

I ran it in various modes of "compatibility" for different Windows versions, with and without "Run as Administrator". The only difference it made was as "Administrator". In that mode, as soon as the Palm Desktop splash screen appears, it freezes there and the program interface doesn't appear. I tried searching the Windows registry for a key that would disable the splash screen because I thought it might be crashing the program, but I didn't find one.

Provost
WyreNut
Message 5 of 25 (9,032 Views)

Have both of you installed the Aceeca drivers for 64bit systems?  Synchronization with Palm Desktop will not work correctly without them.

We have users reporting success with Win8/Palm Pda's/Palm Desktop using these drivers.

WyreNut

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Honor Student
GoneFishin6
Message 6 of 25 (9,022 Views)

Thank you for the advice on the Aceeca drivers for 64-bit Windows. I did install them and syncing with USB works like a champ.

However, my problem with Palm Desktop 6.2.2 has not been resolved. Starting it as "Administrator" still freezes at startup at the splash screen before the Desktop interface can appear.

Provost
WyreNut
Message 7 of 25 (9,016 Views)

GoneFishin6, I'd suggest a clean uninstall/reinstall of Palm Desktop.

Your issue is the first I've heard of.  Others report success with Win8.

These instructions are for Vista but should work for Win8.

You should first make a copy of your data to have just in case something happens. You can find your data files by going to Start --> Documents --> Palm OS Desktop. Highlight your Palm Desktop username and right click and copy. Then go to your PC desktop right click on a blank spot and select paste.

If this is the first time you are installing Palm desktop and encountering a problem, skip the previous step. If you are not concerned about your data at this point, skip the next step.

Now you want to uninstall Palm Desktop and remove everything that has to do with Palm Desktop from your computer. Go to the following locations on the PC and delete the folders listed below. C:\Program Files\Palm or Palm One C:\Users\[Vista Login Name]\appdata\local\virtualstore\Program Files\Palm or PalmOne C:\Users\[Vista Login Name]\appdata *Note you may need to view hidden folders to get to appdata. To do that go into your control panel and open folder options. Go to view tab and uncheck hide hidden files.

When using Palm desktop 6.2, look in my documents or documents and delete the PalmOS desktop folder. This is the location of the PD 6.2 data files.

Once this is done you will need to delete some registry keys from your PC Operating System.

Word of warning, going here and deleting the wrong thing can cause your PC from starting up, crashing and deletion of programs and data. If you feel you are unsure of yourself, see if you have a friend that can help you or a PC technician that you can pay to help you. This procedure will show them everything they need to delete. To make sure we have a good copy of the current registry, we need to do a backup of the Registry.

Go to start on the PC, in the search field type "regedit.exe" without quotes.

Highlight COMPUTER, go to File --> Export. Should pop up with a Save As box. Current location is fine, should be in My Documents or save to a location you will remember. In the file name on the bottom type "backup[todaysdate]" i.e. backup07072008. Next, the hard part.

The easiest way to make sure your working with the correct key, highlight the key i.e. palm quick install, and press delete on your keyboard. It will ask you, are you sure. Say yes. Do the same thing for all keys below.

If you make a mistake, stop what you are doing. And call a PC technician. BUT do not turn off your computer.

The reg keys are as follows (Note: some of theses reg keys will not be here but if they are delete them)

* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Palm Quick Install * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\PalmOne File Transfer * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palm * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palm, Inc. * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmDesktopAutorun * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\palmOne * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmSource * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PalmSource or anything else that says palm

Next reboot your computer.

Then reinstall your Palm desktop from the CD and do a hotsync. If it asks you for a username, enter the name that is on your device in the upper right corner of the hotsync screen.

Honor Student
GoneFishin6
Message 8 of 25 (9,004 Views)

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time and help. I followed your above well written description, all problems have been resolved and everything is running as it's supposed to. Thank you, thank you! :smileyvery-happy:

Provost
WyreNut
Message 9 of 25 (8,986 Views)

My pleasure, GoneFishin6.

Solving problems like yours is the impetus that keeps me going hereon this Forum!  :smileyhappy:

WyreNut

Honor Student
qbrandtk
Message 10 of 25 (8,853 Views)

I followed the method suggested and installed Palm Desktop.  I went through the hotsync with my Z22 and the process seemed correct.  When I opened Palm Desktop, however, only Media and Install showed in the left hand column.  No calendar, no address book, no memos etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation