Question

Honor Student
wzkdC
Message 1 of 9 (150 Views)
Accepted Solution

Tungsten E2 -- HotSync stuck at Datebook.

All previous hot sync sessions were without problem.   HotSync completed this time but showed Date Book synchronization was aborted.  All Date Book data on desktop was lost.  I tried to sync it again.  It then got stuck at Date Book and would not continue.  So had to abort it.  Have not been able to recover it yet.  Would anybody help solve this problem?

I use bluetooth to HotSync.

My handheld is Tungsten E2. 

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium on my PC,

Palm desktop Access 6.2.2,

HotSync Manager 7.0.2

Post relates to: Tungsten E2

Distinguished Professor
cygnusX1_1
Message 2 of 9 (149 Views)

Re: Tungsten E2 -- HotSync stuck at Datebook.

There may be database corruption causing the issue. Click on the following link for the program called DbFixiT. This program has a trial version that you can download and install on your Palm OS device. The trial version will scan for database corruption and then report the corruption. You can then find the records causing the problem and fix them yourself or you can purchase the program and have it automatically fix the records.

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/dbfixit.htm

To install the program, set all conduits to "do nothing" except quick install or install if using Palm desktop 6.2.

After you install the program on the handheld, run the scan and also scan for Blobs in the calendar.
After you clean-up the database on the handheld, set the conduits in hotsync to handheld overwrites desktop and perform a hotsync.

If you are using Win7 64 bit, you can download and install 64bit USB drivers for that version.

Here is the link to the forum post with the link to the drivers.

http://forums.hpwebos.com/t5/Windows-HotSync/64-Bit-Palm-Desktop-Drivers-are-HERE/td-p/337516

The best way to preserve your data is to export the data in each category in Palm Desktop to a separate folder on your PC.

Create a new folder on your PC somewhere that is convenient. Name it something like Palm Desktop Data. Click on the link below and follow the instructions on that page for the export procedure.

http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2/common/article/28734_en.html
Make sure you select all for the range in the export window.

With the data saved in the folder you created, make a copy of that folder and save to a flash drive, cd-rw or external hard drive.

Anytime you make a change in Palm Desktop, export the data that was changed to that folder and save again to the external media.

With this process you can always import the data back into Palm Desktop anytime you have a problem with the data in Palm Desktop or if your computer/hard drive/device crashes.

Another option to backup is to use NVBackup and backup to an SD card on your E2. Google search for NVBackup for PalmOS and if you have a 1 GB SD card, you can backup to the card for disaster recovery. 

Here is a link to a forum post regarding nvbackup.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/crawl_message?board.id=hardware&message.id=49854

For reference purposes, click on the following link for the support page for your device on the kb.hpwebos.com webpage.

http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/na/tungsten/e2/unlocked/home/page_en.html

There are links on the page to the user guide, troubleshooting, how to's, downloads, etc.

Distinguished Professor
smkranz
Message 3 of 9 (149 Views)

[Dang, cygnusX1 beat me to it!]

If the data on your E2 is intact, try setting the Datebook Hotsync Conduit on your desktop, to Handheld Overwrites Desktop, then Hotsync again. 

If that doesn't do it, you may have corrupt data in the calendar on the handheld.  A free utility called DbFixIt from www.pimlicosoftware.com will identify it, allow you to delete it, and for a modest purchase price, repair it.  If you cannot Hotsync the application to your device, you'll have to copy the .prc file onto a SD card using a card reader.  Copy the file into the /palm/launcher folder on the card.  If you already use a card in the E2, the folder should already exist.  If not, you should get one (regular SD, not SDHC, and 1 GB or smaller in size).  Insert, run Card Info app, and Format the card.

Let us know if that's confusing, and how it works out.

_______
smkranz
I am a volunteer, and not an HP employee.
Palm OS ∙ webOS ∙ Android
Honor Student
wzkdC
Message 4 of 9 (149 Views)

Thank you both for the advice! I have downloaded the DbFixiT program and it identified 2 problems which I have deleted the two calendar entries on my E2 and finally it sychronized smoothly! I didn't even have to purchase the program and saved me $20!!

Distinguished Professor
cygnusX1_1
Message 5 of 9 (149 Views)

Glad to have helped resolve your issue.

I would strongly suggest you use the backup process I provided in my post for disaster recovery.

Honor Student
wzkdC
Message 6 of 9 (149 Views)

Re: Tungsten E2 -- HotSync Problem Again

I have encountered likely the same problem again.  My PC was unexpectedly shut down.  After restart, all data in Calendar and Contact in the desktop disappeared.  Hotsync from handheld was aborted once it gets to Date book.

The Dbfixit and Dbfixit2 programs are still in handheld (downloaded from last hotsync problem, 4/9/12).  No errors were found when I ran the two programs.  I am at sea now to how to proceed to fix this problem.  Would anybody please help me out here?  Do I need to purchase the latest version to fix it?

wzkdC

Distinguished Professor
cygnusX1_1
Message 7 of 9 (149 Views)

If all your data is on the E2, try to set the hotsync conduits to handheld overwrites desktop and sync.

Honor Student
wzkdC
Message 8 of 9 (149 Views)

That did the trick.  Thanks a lot.  You made my day.

But I still don't understand why the data could be wiped out.  Anyway, thanks again and have a great day.

Distinguished Professor
cygnusX1_1
Message 9 of 9 (149 Views)

Glad to assist.

If you are using Palm desktop version 6.2.2, that version has had reports of losing data.  When the PC does an update with PD open or you shut down the PC with PD open.

You can revert back to an eariler version of PD or use the backup procedure I had provided in the posts for loss of data. With the backup saved, you can import the data back into PD in case your device or PC fails. This is used for disaster recovery.

Another option is to use a 1-GB SD card and the NVbackup program. You can find NVbackup on the internet for free as a download. With that program you can make an image of your device and reload it if there is a problem. I would suggest both methods, exporting your data and the NVbackup for disaster recovery.

I say this because I have tried to assist many different people that are not backing up their data and are frantic because they have no copy of the data anywhere else.

If you want to revert back to an eariler version of PD other than 6.2.2 then you will need to backup your data, "clean" uninstall PD, install PD and sync your HH.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation