Question
Tungsten E2 erased all calendar items. How can I restore them from PC Desktop? Synch erases both.
Replies (15)

Top Student
ctilson_1
Message 11 of 16 (32 Views)

Re: Tungsten E2 erased all calendar items. How can I restore them from PC Desktop? Synch erases both.

Didn't work. Calendar still blank. Any other ideas?
Distinguished Professor
cygnusX1_1
Message 12 of 16 (32 Views)

Re: Tungsten E2 erased all calendar items. How can I restore them from PC Desktop? Synch erases both.

ctilson,

In the hotsync log, do you see any OLERR messages? If you are sync'ing to Outlook, you may see these errors.

Is the calendar blank on both the handheld and in Outlook?

Top Student
ctilson_1
Message 13 of 16 (32 Views)

When I looked for the datebook.dat file on the C:\Program Files\palmone..., the only thing in the datebook folder are two files with one folder called OcUiSettings (configuration files) with a date of the last successful sync of my calendar.  The other file is labeled "OCDateCat Dat file 2 KB".  That can't possibly be a good file because of the small size, correct?

Top Student
ctilson_1
Message 14 of 16 (32 Views)

Outlook Calendar
OLERR:03-0058 (0x8004010a)
OLERR:03-005E (0xf594010a)
OLERR:03-0005
OLERR:0D-0016
OLERR:0D-000C
OLERR:0D-0004
OLERR:0D-0001
- HH overwrite Desktop Sync
Outlook Calendar synchronization failed

The handheld calendar is not blank.
Distinguished Professor
cygnusX1_1
Message 15 of 16 (32 Views)

It looks like there is a problem with Outlook.

Click on the following link to the kb.palm.com webpage for the article regarding 'OLERR: (number)' errors in HotSync Log.

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=31167

Go through the article and see if you can resolve the sync issue.

Distinguished Professor
cygnusX1_1
Message 16 of 16 (32 Views)

Phil-etp,

I have seen your post regarding finding missing files, here is the procedure.

You can recover the data from your user folder provided you have only sync'ed once with the PC when you discovered the data missing. When you sync to the PC there are files created for each PIM category in your user folder. For Example; datebook.dat or datebook (Depending on the version of Palm Desktop) and datebook.bak. Using 6.2 the file names are .mdb and mdb.bak. For 6.2, the files are located in the username folder in PalmOSdesktop in my documents.

The files are named .dat and .bak. When you sync, the current data is stored in .dat. The next time you sync the data in the .dat file is copied to the .bak file. You can rename the .dat to .old. then rename the .bak to .dat. If the data in the .bak file is intact, it will now be in palm desktop when you reopen Palm desktop. I have included a link to show you how to find the userfolder on the PC.

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=26674

Here is another link regarding data loss;

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=39503

The best way to backup your data is to use the export feature in Palm Desktop. Make a new folder on the PC desktop named Palm Desktop Backup data. Next, select the category you want to export. You will get a window that asks where you want to save the file, save in the folder created on the desktop. There is a button that allows you to select currently selected record or all, select all. If you don't select all, then only the record highlighted is exported. You will then need to name the file for export, I suggest the name of the category, eg: datebook (With current date). Do this for all critical data in each category. With the data exported to the folder on the PC desktop, you can save this data to a flash drive, external hard drive or a CD-RW. With this method you will have your data in a seperate place than Palm desktop and the device. If you "Lose" data again, you can import the data back into palm desktop.

Make sure that when you make changes in palm desktop or the device to export the data to the folder created for the backup.

Here is a link for other options for backing up your data;

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=28751

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation