Question

Honor Student
jhallmedia
Message 1 of 39 (1,216 Views)

Will Palm Desktop 4.1.4 work with Windows 7?

Hi all. Newbie here. I am a long-time Palm OS user and fan, graduating over the years from the old PALM PDAs to a Treo 650 a few years ago. The latest version I have on my old Windows XP PC is Palm Desktop 4.1.4. Since I had to change cell providers and didn't like the PALM smartphones they had, I had to give up my Treo and no longer use OR need Hotsync. BUT - and this is important - I live and die by the PALM desktop. I would be lost without the Calendar, Address Book, Tasks, etc. I absolutely HATE Outlook calendar.

I just purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit PC and haven't hooked it up yet while checking program compatibility.

My questions are:

1. Will Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (the install CD I have from the Treo) install OK and work on WIndows 7? If not, is there a place I can download the Palm OS software that WILL work OK?

Thanks very much for helping me (if you can). :smileyhappy:

Post relates to: None

Tutor
ditech
Message 2 of 39 (1,217 Views)

Re: Will Palm Desktop 4.1.4 work with Windows 7?

Welcome to palm forum.

We haven’t test the compatibility Windows 7 and PD. You can try to install 4.1.4 from the CD if not you can go to www.palm.com   and download the PD 6.2 here is the link http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/32859_en.html .

Honor Student
jhallmedia
Message 3 of 39 (1,216 Views)

Thanks very much, ditech!
Top Student
paulbear
Message 4 of 39 (1,216 Views)

Hi Ditech -

But will Palm 6.2 on my desktop with Windows 7 allow me to communicate and/hotsync with my Z-22? I don't expect my new HP to have an IR, only Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

If not, what do you suggest to replace the Z-22? I'm a Verizon customer.

Tutor
ditech
Message 5 of 39 (1,216 Views)

Hi paulbear,

Which version Windows 7 you have 64bits or 32bits.

Top Student
paulbear
Message 6 of 39 (1,216 Views)

I have the 64-bit version.

Paulbear

Student
laurentiu_1
Message 7 of 39 (1,216 Views)

Hi there,

I just installed palm desktop software v4.2 on win 7 ultimate 64 bit. The only problem I have is that the look up field for sorting contact is not working any more.

hotsync works just fine on bluetooth.

So, if you have some ideas regarding look up field ? please drop me a line

Top Student
paulbear
Message 8 of 39 (1,216 Views)

Hi Laurentiu -

Thanx for the info re OS 4.2, but I use the Z22 which does not utilize Bluetooth. My problem remains wanting to use any Palm OS with Windows 7 that will work fully as it does with XP. I have already upgraded to OS 6.2 but can downgrade to 4.2 if necessary. The problem seems to remain the question of Hotsync.

Paulbear

Provost
WyreNut
Message 9 of 39 (1,216 Views)

paulbear wrote:

Hi Laurentiu -

Thanx for the info re OS 4.2, but I use the Z22 which does not utilize Bluetooth. My problem remains wanting to use any Palm OS with Windows 7 that will work fully as it does with XP. I have already upgraded to OS 6.2 but can downgrade to 4.2 if necessary. The problem seems to remain the question of Hotsync.

Paulbear

Paulbear, you will be limited to syncing via the IR port only with a 64bit OS. Changing to 4.x won't change this requirement.

You'll need to follow this large thread about syncing a Z22 with Vista64 in the Windows HotSync section of the forum: 

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=windows_hotsync&thread.id=36872&jump=true

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Student
bees1964
Message 10 of 39 (1,216 Views)

Ditech, your answer implies that PD 6.2 is compatible with Windows, is it? 
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation