Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an old copy of Palm Desktop I still use (3.1).  Wanted to add a "newer" version since alarms and some features no longer operative.  Does anyone know if I can run two separate versions of the Desktop app in Windows 8?  Or would installation of the 6.2.2 corrupt the older version?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You cannot run two versions of Palm Desktop on one PC. 

If you choose to go to 6.2.2, be sure to use the "Export" function in each of the PIM sections - Contacts, Calendar, etc. before you install the newer version.  These files can then be imported into the new version.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks WyreNut.  As I expected, but helpful to have confirmation.

HP Recommended

I have a Palm Treo 755p and have tried to install the Palm Desktop 6.2.2 to my Win8.1 32 bit machine.   I get an error message everytime no matter the situation (tried Admin & Compatiblility down to XP 3 & 2).   I tried then installing from the original CD and got the same error message.

Message:   "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime"

Do you have any advice?

HP Recommended

@tedszostak wrote:

I have a Palm Treo 755p and have tried to install the Palm Desktop 6.2.2 to my Win8.1 32 bit machine.   I get an error message everytime no matter the situation (tried Admin & Compatiblility down to XP 3 & 2).   I tried then installing from the original CD and got the same error message.

Message:   "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime"

Do you have any advice?

Google is your Friend!

Found this:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910816

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your post.  I have Palm Desktop 6.2.2 on two of my computers and I just got a new computer at work that I want to install it on.  Is there a way that I can either,

(a) copy Palm Desktop from one of my home computers onto a disc, or

(b) download your version on to a CD rom,

for future use just in case.

HP Recommended

@Longislander wrote:

Hi, thanks for your post.  I have Palm Desktop 6.2.2 on two of my computers and I just got a new computer at work that I want to install it on.  Is there a way that I can either,

(a) copy Palm Desktop from one of my home computers onto a disc, or

(b) download your version on to a CD rom,

for future use just in case.

a) No, but you can back up all your user data.  You need the installation file I have linked to.

b) Download it to anything you want!  CD, USB thumb drive, cloud storage of your choice, etc.!

WyreNut

HP Recommended

Many thanks.  So, it I download it onto a disc, can I then download the Palm Desktop software onto another computer at a future date?

HP Recommended

@Longislander wrote:

Many thanks.  So, it I download it onto a disc, can I then download the Palm Desktop software onto another computer at a future date?

Yes.  You download the installation file to any type of removable media, then transfer it to the new computer.

You then run the installation file (the download) to install Palm Desktop.

WyreNut

HP Recommended

So now I have Palm Desktop 6.2 saved on a disc of my very own, but at some point I suspect it won't function on future generations of Windows (perhaps not even Windows 10, though I haven't checked).

For those of us who love the Palm Desktop interface (and have been using some version of it for 15 years, like me), what else is out there that resembles Palm Desktop?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.