Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought an HP Envy 6 laptop with Windows 8 installed ... only to discover I can't use the traditional cradle sync with my Palm TX handheld.  I must now use Bluetooth for HotSync operations.  I have installed a Bluetooth adapter on the HP laptop and configured the Bluetooth on the Palm TX Handheld and everything looks like it works from a Bluetooth perspective.  However, when trying to use the Palm HotSync option ... I get an error message saying "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application".  I've tried configuring the Bluetooth serial ports on the laptop with the HotSync Manager, but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The TX can sync via wifi also, or you can use the drivers from Aceeca to go back to simple USB cable connection.

See the thread at the beginning of this section titled "64bit Windows USB drivers for Palm Desktop are here".

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The TX can sync via wifi also, or you can use the drivers from Aceeca to go back to simple USB cable connection.

See the thread at the beginning of this section titled "64bit Windows USB drivers for Palm Desktop are here".

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

Got the driver as you suggested ... works great!  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Glad to help!  🙂

WyreNut

HP Recommended

lot of malarky is floating on the Web about this problem.

I'm using a Palm TX and Windows 7 64-bit. Personally, I think it's worthwhile to be able to use Bluetooth synchronization: I've found it to be much faster than Cradle to Cable using the 64-bit  Aceeca driver.

The "port in use" error drove me to the point of wanting to stomp on my Palm!  BUT I've found this solution to work reliably: 

(having first , both on your Palm and your PC )

First, on your PC:

-  Make sure that Bluetooth has been turned on!

-  Open the HotSync Manager (open "Settings"rather than "Install" if you have a choice)

-  Click on "Connections"

-  Make sure that [   ]  USB is UNchecked and that [ + ] Bluetooth is CHECKED.

-  Click "Applications" to set up your synchonization

-  Click "Done"

Second, on your Palm:

-  Make sure that Bluetooth has been turned on!

-  Open the "HotSync" application

-  Select "Local" (rather than "Network")

-  Below the HotSync logo, click the drop-down box & select the Bluetooth connection you have previously set up.

-  Press the HotSync logo/button.

HotSync should go smoothly.

Remember to switch from [  ] Bluetooth to  [  ] USB before you do a Cradle/Cable sync.

For the viewer who hasn't already set up a Bluetooth connection, or isn't sure whether theirs is set correctly, I can give a quick summary. This applies to a Windows PC and a Palm TX. Other combos may be different.

o  Open the HotSync application.

o  Below the HotSync logo/button, click the arrowhead beside the drop-down menu of connection names.

o  At bottom of drop-down menu, click "New" [or select a existing connect & click "Edit"].

The "Edit Connection" menu comes up, with these options:

-  Name: ______               << anything you like.

- Connect to:                      << select "PC"

-                Via:                      << select "Bluetooth"

- Device:  [Tap to find]   << go ahead, tap the box.

Now you'll get the "Discovery Results" screen, with the following:

_ Show:                         << select  "Nearby devices" (assuming your PC is at hand).

_ Select a device:      << your PC's name should show up in this box.

Select it and click "OK".

( If your PC's name does not appear, is its Bluetooth still on & set to be discoverable? I can't help here. )

- Click "OK" again.

o  You're now back at "Available Connections" menu. Select the connection you made and click "Done".

HP Recommended

Synchronizing a Palm TX wirg windows 8 is really a nuisance !

I defined a Bluetooth connexion, and the synchro with my Window 8 based dv7 HP notebook works like this :

1. If I install the TX software on the CD coming with the Palm, the synchro seems to run smoothly, but no update is done on the Palm ...

2. if I install the ACCESS 6.2 software, the synchro works fine the first time, then synchro with Outlook calendar and contact fails every subsequent time (with error messages about Outlook ODBC failure).

However, if I re-install the ACCESS 6.2 software (in repair mode), it will work again 1 time ... useless to say that this is pretty cumbersome and time consuming !

Is there something known about this strange behaviour ?

Thanks in advance - CB

HP Recommended

Try running Palm DeskTop and Hot Sync as administrator.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.