Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 15 (1,732 Views)

[Patch][Update] Universal Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016 Hotsync update

Product Name: Palm

Hi Everyone

I know it's been a while since Outlook 2016 was released, just thought I'd share my latest update.

I've created a new installer, new way of patching, everything is self-contained now. Just select your version from the drop-down menu and click!

Also, I've designed it so you can designate your install location, just in case you have a Palm install that isn't in C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm, but instead an older version using the PalmOne name or other variations.

The new, updated setup file is available either directly from http://pizzaboy192.com/downloads/SetupUniversal.exe or by visiting http://pizzaboy192.com/download/ to grab the file.

I have tested this update a little bit, but for the most part it is the old files from the older patches, just rolled into one installer.

Please let me know if you run into issues. I haven't made one of these installers from scratch in nearly 5 years, so I am a little rusty.

Enjoy!

Top Student
Message 2 of 15 (1,268 Views)

Re: [Patch][Update] Universal Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016 Hotsync update

Can you explain what this is? Does it just allow sync for contacts and calendar? Does it enable email on the device? Seems email is no longer working for any app on PalmOS because of outdated SSL/TLS certs. It'd be great to find a solution for it.

Intern
Message 3 of 15 (1,260 Views)

It allows the Palm Hotsync Desktop software to operate with the newer versions of Microsoft Outlook since Palm stopped releasing software. (Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, and Outlook 2016). It doesn't work with x64 versions of Office though, yet.

I don't think it allows you to use a Palm with wifi or cellular data to communicate with a modern email server because it doesn't modify anything on the Palm device itself. It modifies 2 files that check the Outlook version and nothing else.

I can certainly look into the SSL certs issue to see if there's a way to fix it.

Top Student
Message 4 of 15 (1,252 Views)

Oh ok neat. Well, for those of us all using Palm OS from time to time it would be nice to have working email via versamail or chattermail etc. There's a chat about it here http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?t=330560
Top Student
Message 5 of 15 (988 Views)

Any luck on the SSL certs?

Top Student
Message 6 of 15 (244 Views)

I followed all the steps, but no luck.  Particulars: Woindows 10, Outlook 2016 32-bit, PalmWinDesktop62.exe, SetUpUniversal.exe - chose proper version and directory.  

Log file says "Outlook Calendar synchronization completed with messages -  The currently installed Outlook verson is not supported.  Outlook 98, 2000, and XP(2002) are supported."

Interestingly, Outlook Contacts and Tasks synchronized successfully, as did everything else (except the usual "backup 1 file(s)").  But the calendar is what I really need.

Intern
Message 7 of 15 (234 Views)

Hi Jim2017.

Can you go into Hotsync, into the Outlook Canendar plugin, and open it's settings? I believe Hotsync sometimes goes a little silly and doesn't realize that the calendar plugin is actually working.

The error message also leads me to believe that the calendar patch didn't get applied. If the updated conduits are installed, it will also mention Outlook 2007. Let me know if that helps any. I'll need to dig out a Palm device to do more troubleshooting as I've moved recently.

Top Student
Message 8 of 15 (222 Views)

Hi pizzaboy192_, thanks for the quick response.

I tried to change the settings for the calendar(outlook) in Hotsync and I got the same warning about not working with various versions of outlook (2007 and later not mentioned). It let me go on to the setting page but continued to give the same warning.

I had not installed the 2007 patch, so I uninstalled your universal patch, installed the palm2007conduit patch, then reinstalled your patch but no change in the warning (no mention of 2007).

I unstalled everything, installed the original Palm software (setup-palm.exe from 2005), applied the 2007 patch, and then applied your patich (choosing the PalmOne directory).  No change.

I unstalled the universal patch and reinstalled it, this time selecting Palm Inc folder (where the Palm Condutis Updater folder is - even though it is empty).  Now when I start Hotsynch, I get these messages:

The Notifier file 'AnnaNotifier.dll' was not found.
   The Notifier file 'pdn20.dll' was not found.
   The Notifier file 'AlarmNotify.dll' was not found.
   The Notifier file 'EASNotify.dll' was not found.

and saying it was skipping them each time.  No change in behavior.   Uninstalled the unversal patch, reinstalled it in the Palm Conduits Updater folder under Palm Inc, same messages, same behavior.

Then I noticed that the universal patch was showing up in a Palm subfolder of whatever folder I was choosing in the setup.  My mistake - so back to square one using the 2005 software.

Meanwhile, my palm has been occassionally rebooting Hotsync starts connecting to it through bluetooth and now it gets stuck in the "ACCESS Powered" screen.  Usually removing the battery and rebooting solves the problem but not this time.  I will have to try leaving the battery out for a while or switch to a new device.  No more time today - time for my day job.

Thanks again - sorry if all the above is wasting your time.

Jim

Top Student
Message 9 of 15 (197 Views)

OK - got all my Treo issues worked out (it seems the constant bluetooth linking everytime Hotsync started up eventually fried the phone - fortunately I had a spare and Sprint was able to transfer my service so I am still in business).

Can you go into Hotsync, into the Outlook Canendar plugin, and open it's settings?

I believe Hotsync sometimes goes a little silly and doesn't realize that the calendar plugin

is actually working.

I reinstlaled the most recent Palm desktop (6.2) and the 2007 conduits and your universal patch.  When I try to configure the calendar application in Hotsync, it says "This version of Outlook is not supported by the Outlook Conduit application.  Supported Outlook version are Outlook 98, 200 XP(2002) and 2003."

The error message also leads me to believe that the calendar patch didn't get applied.

If the updated conduits are installed, it will also mention Outlook 2007. Let me know

if that helps any. I'll need to dig out a Palm device to do more troubleshooting as I've

moved recently.

I don't know of there is a way to check this.  I see four uninstall files (unins000.exe, unins000.dat, unins001.exe and unins001.dat) but otherwise don't see any files with a date newer than 2008 in the Palm directory or any of its subdirectories.

Just for the sake of completebess, I applied the 2010 patch but that did not change anything.

By the way, despite the lack of error messages in the log file, Hotsync is not actually iupdating memos and contacts from Outlook.

--Jim

Intern
Message 10 of 15 (190 Views)

Hi Jim2017,

I'll see if I can find one of my palms tonight to dig into this issue. It's been nearly four years since I've used a Palm device daily so my knowings of the workings of Hotsync are a bit rusty.

Do you know what directories Hotsync is installed in? Can you go into that folder and check the "date modified" attribute of the files starting with OCP (I think one is OCPNotifier and the other is OCPCalender?)

Other other thought. Make sure that Hotsync is closed before running the installer for the patch, and make sure the patch is run as an admin. Windows UAC can mess up the patcher as can Hotsync being open, preventing the correct files from ending up the right places (My program isn't signed by Microsoft, so if UAC is enabled and it isn't run as an administrator, it will "jail" the files and prevent it from working.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation