HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
06-15-2012 10:08 AM
I am thinking there is an issue with noise on the line, combined with low loop voltage from the router that is causing the ring detection circuit in the laserjet to continually think there is a ring signal present. I will send out some private instructions on how to measure the loop voltage and decrease the ring sensitivity.
06-15-2012 12:27 PM
I sent instructions to change the ring detection threshold to rich19061, RichRuocco, uncleshaun1, byrdseye, and shipwatchers. Let me know if those work for you.
06-21-2012 02:57 PM
You could set this value up higher. The Bellcore standard minimum ring is 40 volts, typical is 70 to 90 volts RMS. I would try 40 then 50. Just make sure it is still responding to rings. If you have an AC voltmeter and breakout adapter you can measure the ring voltage to see what is being generated.
07-10-2012 11:40 AM
just an update...I've had the ring value set at 40 for a while now & everything has been running as it should. I'm hopeful that the problem (at least for me) is solved...hope I'm not jinxing myself. Thanks cs4517!
09-11-2012 04:26 PM
not sure if anyone responded to you? If not, here's the instructions that worked for me (moderators, if inappropriate, please delete) -
Enable Developers menu:
1. press the setup key (wrench symbol)
2. press the right arrow key quickly followed by the cancel key. The trick with this is that neither of these buttons is lit up at this point - you just have to remember where they are, the right arrow is in the middle of the right edge, the cancel is at the bottom of the right edge below the ?. This should send you back to the home screen.
3. press the setup key
4. Developers menu should be the first item in the menu. If it is not repeat step 2.
5. Select Developers menu
6. Arrow down to Fax Settings item - Select Fax settings
To change ring detection level:
1. Get into developers menu - fax settings using steps 1-6 above.
2. Select R/W parameter
3. Enter 421 for the parameter number - press OK - Should display RingDetLowThres for a moment then go to 14. This is the default value
4. Enter the new value of 20 and then press ok to save this value
5. Select R/W parameter
6. Enter 422 for the parameter number - press OK - should display RingDetHighThres for a moment then go to 14. This is the default value.
7. Enter the new value of 20 and then press OK to save this value
If this does not work , increase value. If it is set too high then ring detection will not work. After changing the setting make sure the unit will answer an incoming call.