Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi @BrokenPrinter99 ,

I see by your post that the printer is in a error state with the message "No string in RO". I would like to help you.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

I will send you another step to try in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi sweet2pankaj,

Thanks for sending me the PM. The printer is back to factory settings again and now you need to setup printer on the network and faxing.

To configure the printer over the wireless network again, please follow these steps:

Temporarily connect the USB cable from the printer to the computer and go to Start, All Programs, HP, Laserjet M1217 and select Wireless Configuration and go through the wizard to reset up the wireless again.

If you are on a Mac, let me know.

Test the printer over the wireless network.

Here are some fax settings to set on the printer:

• Go to the wrench, fax setup menu, OK, fax receive setup, OK, private receive, OK, turn it off.
  • Go to the wrench, arrow to fax setup, all faxes, error correction, OK, turn it off, OK.
  • Go to the wrench, arrow to fax setup, OK, all faxes, OK, fax speed, OK, set it to medium, OK.

I have also provided a document for the cable connections and setting the fax time, date, header and running the HP Fax Setup Wizard. Setting up the Fax.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi ,

I tried the NVRAM reset procedure sent to me by PM, and I still only get the "No Strings in RO" message.  

Are there any other options for resetting the printer?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi BrokenPrinter99,

Sorry to hear the reset didn't resolve the issue.

Unfortunately the only reset was the Nvram Reset I had sent you for the printer.

If the Firmware Update is interrupted or Fails can cause the No Strings in Ro error.

I would suggest to try updating the firmware again by a USB connection. It may or may not detect the printer being in the error state though.

Is the printer in warranty?

If the issue continues, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836 for further assistance, let them know after the firmware update attempt you had this issue. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

While doing a firmware update on my HP M1212nf there was a power failure and I am now getting the same "no strings in RO" error on both lines of the printer display.  Tried re-installing the firmware but to no avail.  Tried resetting printer (unplug with power on / power on while holding "x" and copy buttons), but that did not work either.  Printer is connected via USB cable to a labtop running Windows 10 Home.

Please send info on how I might be able to reset printer so that it will again work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.