Question

Tutor
cmthomas
Message 1 of 7 (258 Views)

1536dnfMFP - Toolbox inaccessible - update from MS fails to install

My MFP prints and scans without problem.  However, I am unable to open Toolbox to make adjustments.  A notice from HP appears on the screen advising that an update is needed.  MS Windows update program has provided an update that appears to be the solution, however, it will not install with repeated attempts.

Other self-help that has not been successful includes re-installing the set-up from HP disc that came with the unit.  The failing update is described as HP M1536dnfMFP with no further description.  The HP notice box refers to "Software Update released 2/2010 and then says "Published 11/20/12."

If this is not the appropriate Board for this posting, I would appreciate a recommendation of the best location.  Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

cmthomas

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 2 of 7 (235 Views)

Re: 1536dnfMFP - Toolbox inaccessible - update from MS fails to install

Welcome to the forums cmthomas:smileyhappy:

I read your post about the issues you are having with the printer software. I understand you have reinstalled using the disk however, I would suggest uninstalling again and reinstalling by using the latest driver available on hp.com.

Please let me know the results from the reinstall and also include which OS you are running.

HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer Drivers

Happy Monday:smileyhappy:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
cmthomas
Message 3 of 7 (220 Views)

Rainbow, thanks for your suggestion.  I followed directions exactly and did not achieve success.  Everything seems to be downloading fine until it gets to the list of drivers being installed.  They all seem to install without a problem but when the bottom one appears the installer indicates "failed.'  This appears to be the same driver that HP Updates is trying to install with the same failed result.  The driver update that I installed from the HP site was/is 2011-01-07, Version 3.0.3.5223, 210.73M

I then get a dialogue box pop-up that says:

HP ToolboxFX has encountered an error and cannot recover.  Please restart HP ToolboxFX or re-start your PC.  You will not be able to receive alert messages, or use other HP ToolboxFX features until HP ToolboxFX has been restarted.

Windows Ver. Win32NT-6.1.7601.65536

HP ToolboxFX version 006.015.01163

To further address your reply, my OS is WIN7Pro which was recently installed as an upgrade.  This problem did not exist prior to upgrading from WinXP to Win7, although I have seen nothing that indicates that the software does not work with Win7.

When I go to Start/All Programs/HP I find no sign of the ToolboxFX.

This is very frustrating.  I can print  scan and copy but it is difficult having to go through all kinds of CntrlP etc to find a print program.  Also, I have totally lost my ability to print two sided.  I have checked in Cntrl Panel and set the HP 1536dnp as my active printer

Any further advice that you can provide will be gratefully appreciated.  Thanks for jumping in to help so quickly.

Clarence

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 4 of 7 (206 Views)

Thanks for responding Clarence!

I thank you for your information, and I definitely understand the frustration!

You mentioned you had upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, and in finding the info below on the Toolbox, the guide states that it is not supported in Windows 7.

Using HP ToolboxFX

However, try a Clean Boot and restart the computer. Turn off your firewall and anti-virus, insert the installation CD and open up the CD contents from Start, Computer and look for the Utility folder and run the scrubber.

Afterwards reinstall the printer and the Toolbox might work then.

HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver

I hope this works!

Have a great Thursday:smileyhappy:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
cmthomas
Message 5 of 7 (203 Views)

Thank you for hanging in there with me on this troublesome problem.

I regret to advise you that I followed your recommendations to the letter, alas without total success.

The one bright spot is that the prior "failed" on the attempt to download the drivers is "complete."  That would be the last item in the list of 6 drivers installed.   It simply appears to be the name of the product.  Immediately following that step, I am instructed to attach the USB cable in order to continue the installation program.

Upon doing to the little lights travel from icon to icon but the progress line sits still at 0% for about 15 minutes then times out advising that my printer no longer works.

I would also like to address your comment that the HP1536dnp MFP is not supported by Windows 7.  The spec sheet for this product specifically lists the OS that are supported and Windows 7 is one of them.

So, our mutual hopes that this Clean Boot start and re-installation would solve the problem has not come to pass.

BTW, I followed the instructions to shut off the Firewall and to inactivate the virus checker (MS Security Essentials) and I was able to locate and run the scrubber.

At this stage I am less concerned about the ToolboxFX than I am about losing my ability to scan or fax.  I can obtain printing from the computer but not with the finesse that it previously provided.  I am quite tired of going Cntrl/Shift?P for each print job.

So now I wait to see if this challenge is still of interest to you.  Fotunaely, I do not own a boat in need of an anchor!

Clarence (with lots of hours in on this minor HA! problem!)

Tutor
cmthomas
Message 6 of 7 (185 Views)

I am still at a loss.

I am able to print docs from my computer, however not with the ease previously experienced.  For example, ANY print job requires Ctrl/Shift/P to originate.  Previously, a click on the printer icon did the job.

Next, I purchased this particular model as I wished to have two side printing capability.  That has disappeared.

The most troublesome loss is being unable to scan docs.  Again, when I selected this printer the scanner was needed to assist in converstion of my office to paperless.  This MUST be cured or the unit is worthless to me.  There is currently no access to the scanning software.  Can tbhis be loaded from the CD discriminently?

I hope that my frustration is not misunderstood as being unappreciative.  Deep down, I feel that this problem is one of software and not hardware.  Likely, it is a combination of both.

I got the brilliant idea of returning to an earlier restore point to fix the problem.  Alas, all prior restore points were wiped out when I upgraded to Win7 from WinXP.  I have no restore point earlier than a few days ago and that will not help.

Any further experiements are anxiously awaitied.

Clarence

Tutor
cmthomas
Message 7 of 7 (153 Views)

SOME PROGRESS TO REPORT!

I should have done this sooner but it did not cross my mind.

My wife has a computer of her own not connected in any way to my printer.  I lugged my MFP to her office, plugged it in and installed the software from the CD.  The result was partial victory.  All of my priniting problems disappeared with the exception that I was not able to open the ToolboxFX to adjust the print density.  Conclusion?  The problem is in MY COMPUTER SOFTWARE.

So, I schlepped it back to my office and then undertook to delete any and every file that had anything to do with HP from my hard drive.  I then ran the CD and utilized the Scrubber program found in the Utilities folder.  I then shut down my firewall and virus protection (MS Security Essentials), took a deep breath and downloaded the setup from the CD.

The result is that I have a somewhat different appearance of the printing methodology but nevertheless it works.  I checked on the Start screen, All Programs, click HP and found everything listed including ToolboxFX.  However that link is dead so no Toolbox for this guy.

I will continue to read entries in the Discussion Boards in hope that someone finds a solution and is kind enough to share it.

The sum total is that I spent the better part of three days fiddling with this printer and its software.  It worked fine until I installed Win7 upgrade.  I don't know who to blame, MS or HP.  Such is life!

cmthomas

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation