Question

Top Student
ChicagoA
Message 1 of 13 (346 Views)

5510 Photosmart Not Recognized on Network

I have a 5510 Photosmart that has worked fine as my airprinter for two years, and then last week it stopped working.  I have tried troubleshooting using this site, but have had no success.  The printer diagnostics/report show that it is connected to my wifi, but it is no longer visible on my MacBook, ipad or iphone. I checked my router and sent a ping to the printer, but the packets sent were not received.  Help!  I've spent hours trying to get this thing to work again.

Teacher
Angry_Budgies
Message 2 of 13 (329 Views)

Re: 5510 Photosmart Not Recognized on Network

Hi,

What version of firmware are you running on the printer? If you go to the wrench icon and tools, you can print out a "printer status report."

What is the IP address of the printer?

Can the printer reach webservices (IE does it have its ePrint email address when you press the webservices/ePrint button).

I am an Hp Employee.
My posts may not be helpful.
My posts do not reflect the opinions or views of Hewlett-Packard.
Top Student
ChicagoA
Message 3 of 13 (326 Views)

Thanks for your reply.  I printed the status report, version is EDL1CN1239AR. IP address is 192.168.1.108.  I was never able to make the ePrint functionality work on the printer, but didn't care, all I wanted to do was use the airprint, scan and copy functions.  All of these worked for nearly 2 years, and now I can't print at all.  Ready to just buy a non-HP replacement, it's weeks of trying to make this work to no avail.

Top Student
ChicagoA
Message 4 of 13 (324 Views)

Version EDL1CN1239AR. IP address 192.168.1.108. Never been able to get ePrint to work, but didn't care, just wanted airprint, scan and copy functionality. Ready to toss this machine and replace with a non-HP product. Weeks of trying everything to no avail.
Teacher
Angry_Budgies
Message 5 of 13 (313 Views)

Hi, I'm not a wireless install expert by any means, but I have some suggestions.

1. Uninstall and reinstall the printer software. Take the printer off wifi before doing this, then use the software to reconnect the printer to the wireless network. Based off your firmware versoin, I think you have the duplex version of the photosmart 5510, which I think is the photosmart 5514. So here is the software for that. You can find the software for that here. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5096386&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us. If I'm wrong, please find your software, or let me know so I can look for it. If this works, you're done.

2. Turn off Wifi on the printer.Turn off the printer , remove the power chord, wait 10 seconds, then put the chord back in and turn the printer on. Then connect the printer to the wifi. If this works, you're done.

3.Enter the printer's IP address into a web browser (for you 192.168.1.8) and see if you can access the Embedded Web Server. I think in the previous thread, you said this didn't work, but try it after performing steps 1 and 2.

4. Perform a semi-reset on the printer. Please follow the steps outlined below in the 6th or 7th post, by JustinNS at the time stamp 03-13-2012 08:59 PM http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Photosmart-5510-alignment-loop/td-p/1203733

5. Log into the router and assign a static IP address to the printer. Use the software from step 1 and when setting up the printer, tell the computer's its static IP address. I assume that when you log into the router, you can see the device connected since the device does have an IP address.)

I am an Hp Employee.
Top Student
ChicagoA
Message 6 of 13 (305 Views)

I never changed the printer software, so why would it be incorrect?  It worked for 2 years and then just stopped.

Teacher
Angry_Budgies
Message 7 of 13 (294 Views)

I honestly don't know why it'd suddenly stop working after working for 2 years. Unfortunately, I can't plug any diagnostic tools into the printer to see what's going on or why. The best I can do is try to get your printer running again.

There are bugs in the Operating System, bugs in the router, and bugs in the printers. It could be something with a very low probability of happening happened, such as a malformed packet was sent, but the malformed packet was sent such that its checksum passed so it wasn't detected as malformed.

I am an Hp Employee.
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 13 (286 Views)

Many things can come into play when discussing network-connected printers.  If the printer status report is able to print, that is a good sign.  In case I need to guide you through some steps, what version of OS is your MacBook?  

First suggestion is to try to restore network defaults and then reconnect using the Wireless Setup Wizard all found in the setup menu on the front panel.  When you do this step and reconnect, what is the IP address now?  I will gladly help you get your printer to communicate with your Airprint products again.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
ChicagoA
Message 9 of 13 (284 Views)

Thanks, I ended up paying someone to come in and fix the printer for me. Turns out it was a firmware issue.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 10 of 13 (282 Views)

Thank you for letting me know! I am glad it is working again.  Just for reference then, was that a firmware for your router that you needed?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation