Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HB Officejet 6500 Wireless
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing Windows 10 (from Windows 7), I can no longer get my 6500 to scan - have re-installed drivers multiple times using HP Print and Scan Doctor. As suggested in several forum posts I have tried uninstalling the printer but it will not uninstall - every time I reboot it comes back. When doing troubleshooting, my computer thinks there are two printers attached via WiFi (there is only one). Controlling scanner using the buttons on the printer itself does not work either. Printing does not appear to be affected. A photo of the error message is below. Thanks in advance.

Capture.JPG

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hello @CL3, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I see you're having issues regarding your scan functionality.  I would like to help!

Do you have any issues making a copy?

I'd recommend starting with a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also recommend downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Sorry - no go. Power on/off twice.  The link provided above is for a different office jet printer (8600, not 6500). But I've installed the HP Print and Scan Doctor software multiple times. On first screen after it looks for printers, I see this (IP addresses blocked on purpose):

file1.JPG

I select the top one (with correct IP) and click next - when I select "Fix Scan" I get this message:

file2.JPG

"Get installer" leads me to the correct HP page for the 6500, but there is no software there except the HP Print and Scan Doctor, which I have downloaded multiple times and had the same series of events happen. 

No problems with printing or copying, just scanning.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue with my 8600 printer. I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and used the HP Wizards to install the "latest" Win 10 drivers. The printing function works perfectly. However, when attempting to scan, my computer gives me a message that the computer cannot connect to the scanner. I ran the latest scan doctor, and it ultimately locks on the "driver" error section, with a message that it cannot fix the problem. It suggests I contact customer service and gives me a link to the latest Win 10 drivers. When I open that link, I get to "HP Officejet Pro Full Feature Software and Driver" updated Aug 2014 noting it was updated to support Win 8.1.  Something is clearly wrong / incomplete with the released version of the 8600 driver and software for Win 10.

Anyone else encounter this issue?

HP Recommended

Yes, I have had to same scanning issue. My officejet 6500a plus prints, copies, but try to scan to computer the printer/scanner : "No Computer Detected".  I have  downloaded full software and drivers, and scan doctor to no avail.

Also have followed the instructions for WIA in separate post, still didn't work.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi CL3, and welcome PhilWash and Deutscher!

Thanks for getting back to me!

I would then suggest Uninstalling the Printer Software.

Once it is uninstalled, I would suggest putting your system into clean boot mode within the Microsoft configuration.  You can do so by following this document: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Once the computer is in clean boot mode, I would suggest reinstalling the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows.

Please keep me posted!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Here's how I solved the scanning problem for my 8600 All in One Printer on Windows 10.  In Win 10, open the Windows Store; seach for the HP All in One Printer Remote app. Install it on your computer and run it. A large window will open; under Controls you'll see four options, including Scan.  Click on Scan. You'll get a message that another app must be downloaded in order to scan. Follow the screen prompts to download the Scan and Capture app.

Run the app and you'll get a screen with with options to scan docs or pix. If you right click the window, you'll open a settings-option to set a variety of options.

The overall process to find all this info was not intuitive, nor was it user friendly to finally set up. The only good news at least is that the scanner now works as it should!

HP Recommended

I'd take all those steps if the instructions were there, but the first links provided do not offer a Windows 10 solution, only prior versions.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip - that got me part way there. The first program doesn't recognize my printer (and won't let me install it) but downloading the scan software at least got me scanning (though I can't crop/edit/etc so will have to use another program to fix). Temporary patch until HP figures it out. I appreciate the assist.

HP Recommended

I really can't believe that this has not been posted already. There is a web interface for your Officejet 6500, which offers a web scan functionality. The web utilites are accessed by navigating to the IP address for you printer in a web browser, as long as you have the wireless or other network connection enabled on the device.

My address looks like this, http://192.168.2.7/, yours will be different based on the IP address that is assigned to the printer on your network.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.