6500 Officejet ink system failure / Print head missing?? (19938 Views)
Top Student
MisterSarajevo9
Message 1 of 19 (19,938 Views)

6500 Officejet ink system failure / Print head missing??

Have had the 6500 for just under a year; had to replace the black toner; since then, continue to get "Ink System Failure" message;   Cleaned print heads manually;  When tried to do it via the utility, it says "print head is missing" and I continue to get ink system failure on my printer display.   Any other suggestions?   Can't find a place on HP site to order "print head" -- should I take printer to get serviced?  And where?  

-Very Frustrated,

Mister Sarajevo 

Honor Student
CsGonzalo
Message 2 of 19 (19,814 Views)

Re: 6500 Officejet ink system failure / Print head missing??

Hello,

This is the P/N for the PrintHead:

CN643A

Student
insamniac
Message 3 of 19 (19,600 Views)

Just replaced my black ink cartridge (for the first time I think) and I'm seeing the same issue... Error switches between Printhead missing and Ink system failure...

Student
gkirkpatrick
Message 4 of 19 (19,562 Views)

Check this out: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01458034&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3795406#N65

In particular, make sure the cartridge vent is clear of any tape or glue.

Student
Afrazzle
Message 5 of 19 (18,513 Views)

Replaced ink cartridge. Now get mssg that print head is missing? Can't find any info on what to do. Thanks if you can help.

MisterSarajevo9 wrote:

Have had the 6500 for just under a year; had to replace the black toner; since then, continue to get "Ink System Failure" message;   Cleaned print heads manually;  When tried to do it via the utility, it says "print head is missing" and I continue to get ink system failure on my printer display.   Any other suggestions?   Can't find a place on HP site to order "print head" -- should I take printer to get serviced?  And where?  

-Very Frustrated,

Mister Sarajevo 

Intern
raphael nikolai
Message 6 of 19 (18,465 Views)

There's still a way to fix your officejet before you get it serviced. You can check out this link.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/ink-system-failure-error-0xc18a-hp/

If you are still in warranty, then i suggest you call HP support instead.

Student
DianaPlum
Message 7 of 19 (16,765 Views)

Cleaning my printer head fixed the Ink System failure problem.  I found the step by step  answer on the hp support page 'Printhead Problem' or 'Printhead appears to be missing or damaged .  This page does not mention "Ink System Failure"!

I used bottle water and many coffee filters with hp's instructions.

Best of luck!

I was getting ready to fork out the money for a new non-hp printer but finding this hp support link smooth my stress when it worked.   Can I get my two hours back? 

I found it at  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01661383&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3795406

Hopefully I typed in link properly as this site would no allow me to copy/paste.

Top Student
ToniK
Message 8 of 19 (16,399 Views)

When printing some documents printer-Officejet HP 6500-e709a.. refuse to print. when checking control panel on printer it showed "Printhead Missing"..I have no idea what that meant. how can it be missing? it was there 5 minutes ago. Anyway..after accessing HP site showed how to clean Printhead followed instructions "Did Not Work" I ordered a NEW Printhead which I installed with Brand new ink Cartdriges. Followed all instructions unplug/turn off/turn on check this do that.!!

It still shows "Prtinthead" missing!!! This printhead cost me $47.. I have been on this HP site "all day" nothing got accomplished. Awful!!!

Top Student
ToniK
Message 9 of 19 (16,398 Views)

Hello Again

I just checked my control panel on my Officejet HP6500 e709a printer-all in one...also message was  showing "The Printhead installed is not "Intended" for this printer...How can a "Printhead" be installed?Never installed a printhead.it's been there since I puchased this printer in 2010

Student
Rebabl
Message 10 of 19 (16,269 Views)

Thank you so much for your advise!!! It worked!  I wasn't getting an error message but I couldn't get the black ink to print; it would only print  with the color ink.  This fixed the problem,,, wish I'd looked here first as it would have saved me a couple of hours as well.  Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation