Question

Tutor
Vklipscomb
Message 1 of 14 (4,141 Views)
Accepted Solution

6500 fax and digital phone

Hi,

Is there any way to get the OfficeJet 6500 E709n to fax when connected to digital phone service?  That seems to be the only stumbling block to my installation.  I can't believe HP would offer an all-in-one that doesn't fax on digital service.  Thanks for any help.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 14 (4,130 Views)

Re: 6500 fax and digital phone

Sure. Use a 2-conductor phone cable to connect the fax (from the 1-LINE port) to your digital phone modem. Now change the fax speed to Medium or Slow and try faxing. Press Setup>Advanced Fax Setup>Fax Speed. If this doesn't work, then contact your telephone provider and ask for a service known as Fax over IP, or FoIP.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
Vklipscomb
Message 3 of 14 (4,118 Views)

I appreciate your reply.  Meanwhile, the HP support email rep. is saying that this machine doesn't work on digital, so sorry.  I have phone, TV, and internet service through my cable company, but my printer isn't usually set up next to my modem.  Sounds like you're HP, too, so why am I getting an official "no" from them?  Again, thanks for your help.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 14 (4,111 Views)

Well, all fax machines are designed to work on analog phone lines. On digital phones lines, aka Voice over IP, aka VoIP, it gets a little complicated due to the technology involved in VoIP data transmission. You can check THIS document for a better explanation. That is why I suggested you to change the fax speed to Medium\Slow and check if your service provider offers FoIP service, as this will ensure better transmission.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
Vklipscomb
Message 5 of 14 (4,065 Views)

Is a two-conductor phone cable different from the cord that HP provided with this machine?  The manual calls it a special phone cord, different from the ones typically found in homes, but doesn't specify how it's different.  So, I'm wondering if I need to go off to Radio Shack in order to try your suggestion. Again, thanks.  You're much more helpful than official HP email.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 14 (4,061 Views)

The phone cable HP provides is a two-conductor phone cable. You can verify this by looking at the plastic end of the phone cable. You should find 2 copper contacts rather than 4.

Glad to be helpful. :smileyhappy:

I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
Vklipscomb
Message 7 of 14 (4,055 Views)

Thanks -- I don't get fax service trying that; it still says it doesn't detect a phone, so I guess I'll ask the cable co. about the other service.    OR return the machine...

I appreciate your help!

Student
HilaryM
Message 8 of 14 (3,919 Views)

OK. I have the same problem. But I have a 2140 fax machine and Time Warner digital phone. After 3 hours of repeated tech calls, I was told that HP fax machines do not work with digital phones, TW also said that they could not do anything, I had to call HP. HP said call TW. Can you help me too?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 9 of 14 (3,895 Views)

HilaryM wrote:

OK. I have the same problem. But I have a 2140 fax machine and Time Warner digital phone. After 3 hours of repeated tech calls, I was told that HP fax machines do not work with digital phones, TW also said that they could not do anything, I had to call HP. HP said call TW. Can you help me too?

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done here. Tech Support is right in saying that fax machines do not work with digital phones. It's just incompatible technology.

I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
HMarshak
Message 10 of 14 (3,884 Views)

2140 fax and digital phone

Okay - but I still need to be able to fax. So is the advice you gave on the 6500 the same as you would give  for the 2140 ? Or can I set the fax to another mode (DRPD, auto, fax) just to receive faxes manually when I am at home, and leave it on phone when I am out? Or anything else? (my screen name changed but it still HilaryM). Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation