Question

Honor Student
watchwearer
Message 1 of 6 (416 Views)

8600 re-enable fax facility

Am unable to Run Fax Test. Unable to access Fax Wizard or any other fax otion.

Dialogue box on printer states "This feature has been disabled. For more information, contact the administrator."

Device Administration within HP Utility having problems accepting the enabling of "Fax". Does not retain selection of "Fax" in checkbox. In HP Utility "All Settings" I see a big grey padlock and "This feature was disabled by the device administrator. It can be enabled via Device Adminstration Panel. Click "Go" button below to go to that panel." Following this instruction does not give me a permanent enabling of Fax facility, despite ticking the checkbox. The tick disappears when i refresh the Device Administration page.

How do I re-enable the fax facility?

Mac OSX 10.6.8

HP Utility

Officejet Pro 8600 N911g (CM750A)

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 6 (403 Views)

8600 re-enable fax facility

You will need to contact HP Tech Support about this printer. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
watchwearer
Message 3 of 6 (394 Views)

Re: 8600 re-enable fax facility

Hi jason_h,

Thank you for responding.

I was eventually able to resolve the issue.

watchwearer

Top Student
Jodie_246
Message 4 of 6 (365 Views)

Hi, I am having the same problem, how did you fix it.

Thanks

Honor Student
watchwearer
Message 5 of 6 (342 Views)

Jodie_246 wrote:

Hi, I am having the same problem, how did you fix it.

Thanks

Hi Jodie,

Firstly, sorry for delay in replying.

Now for the solution:

1. Open HP Utility (assuming installed)

2. Select 'All Settings' in top menu.

3. In 'Printer Settings', on third row, select 'Additional Settings'.

4. Click 'Open Embedded Web Server' button. This opens your web browser.

5. In the web browser window, select 'Fax' from top menu.

6. Click 'Fax Set-up Wizard' under Settings situated on left hand side.

7. Run through fax setup and enter your configuration data. Remember to click apply, before closing browser tab.

8. Return to 2. above.

9. In 'Printer Settings' on third row, select 'Device Administration'.

10. Either 'Enable All' or alternatively select the features required including 'Fax'. Note - it is not necessary to set/change admin password (unless you need to).

11. Close HP Utility.

Let me knowhow you get on.

Take care,

Roger

Honor Student
ironrooster
Message 6 of 6 (87 Views)

[ Edited ]

Howdy from Texas!

DO NOT REINSTALL YOUR PRINTER DRIVERS.  If you have already done that it will not hurt, but I am sorry for the time you may have wasted.

I know this is an old post but I beat my head against a wall (figuratively) trying to find an answer.  You will need to access the "embedded web server" by typing the ip address of your printer into the address bar of your browser.  I think HP recommends internet explorer but Chrome worked for me. 

You can find the IP address of your 8600 pro by pressing the wifi icon on the led panel.  It looks like a lower case letter i with double parantheses around the dot. If you are connected to your wireless or wired network it will say connected and the ip address will be right under that.  It should be something like 192.168.1.xxx (numbers may be differnt depending on how your network is configured).

Type that Ip address into your browser and the web page that has your printer controls should pop up.  

THe page will have the HP logo and should have the model number of your printer at the top. Mine says HP officejet Pro 8600 N911g

Below that there is a row of tabs.  Click the settings tab at the far right. 

On the left side bar there is a section labeled "Security." Click on the Administrator settings link under that section.

You might get a redirect warning.  If you get a page saying that the security certificate is not trusted then proceed anyway.

The page you want will say Administrator Settings.

Under that check the "Enabled" box next to Fax. Finally, click the "Apply" box at bottom right corner of the page.

DO NOT FREAK OUT IF THE BOX DOES NOT STAY CHECKED.

I did, but it was a waste of adrenaline.  The check box may not stay checked when you refresh the web page until you restart your printer.  That is what happened to me.  I thought it did not work but when I restarted the printer.

Now you should be good to go.  

Hope this helps you pull out less hair than I did trying to get my fax working again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation