Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello HP Support! I recently moved, and, where I was living before, I had 5 other roommates. So, naturally, since we all shared an internet connection, I configured my printer in such a way that it only permitted print jobs from my IP address on that network, and I password protected the configuration page of the printer so that nobody could tamper with it, just to be sure. I however moved, and did not have the foresight to undo this configuration beforehand (which I doubt I would have been able to anyway, considering what I'm about to say). Needless to say, my printer will not connect to the wireless network here due to the current configuration it has. No big deal, just go to change its configuration, right? Wrong. I re-discovered the fact that I had put an administrator log in to configure practically everything on this printer, and I seem to have completely forgotten my log in credintials. I really need some kind of way to reset the device completely to remove the administrator log in. I was browsing the forums before, and saw such a thing called a semi-reset? I'm not certain, but I believe that is what I need to use my printer again. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Naggafin

I can certainly help you reset your printer. I ask only that you pay it forward. When we resolve the issue, I'd like for you to kindly mark this post as Accept as Solution so that others experiencing the same or similar issue can find what worked for you. 

I will send you a PM (Private Message), but before I do, feel free to review the HP Privacy Statement.

This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know

Please check the little envelope on the top right-hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Forums Inbox.jpg

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @Naggafin

I can certainly help you reset your printer. I ask only that you pay it forward. When we resolve the issue, I'd like for you to kindly mark this post as Accept as Solution so that others experiencing the same or similar issue can find what worked for you. 

I will send you a PM (Private Message), but before I do, feel free to review the HP Privacy Statement.

This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know

Please check the little envelope on the top right-hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Forums Inbox.jpg

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

That worked. Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Please send same info, moved printer from home office network to small office network and now says ADMIN lock out on everything. I am the admin and using same computer I installed it with. Need to reset or be able to identify new wireless network. I've unplugged, replugged, plugged into wall, etc etc. Printer interface has me locked out, computer interface can't recognize. Thank You.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a similar problem

Could I also get the solution?

I need to login to the printer but can't

HP Recommended

@SHCGuy

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Printer and the administrator is locked out and you're unable to login. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• What is the exact printer model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did you make any changes to the printer after which this issue ma have started?

Upon receiving the printer model no. I will reply with the printer reset steps. The steps to reset vary from printer to printer. 

Please feel free to reply. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

HP LaserJet P2055dn 

I work for a company that manages a fleet of HP devices, so it is actually a lot of different models with this problem. We took over from another company that has made changes that we are not sure of but we are locked out of admin privileges. Factory Reset does not do anything.

HP Recommended

@SHCGuy

Thanks for your reply. 

Do all the printers have the administrator locked out? The reset I'm talking about is a little different one. 

Let me know. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

The company manages a fleet of HP devices. We are locked out of Admin level access. These are all the affected models:

LaserJet P4015
LaserJet 4250
LaserJet P2055dn
LaserJet 500 M525 MFP
LaserJet 600 M602
Color LaserJet  500 M575 MFP
Color LaserJet   CM3530 MFP
LaserJet M3035 MFP
Color LaserJet  500 M551
Color LaserJet  3600
Color LaserJet   CM3540 MFP
LaserJet 4350
LaserJet  4200
Color LaserJet CP3525
LaserJet P3015

HP Recommended

@SHCGuy

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.