Question

Student
elypse
Message 1 of 10 (13,141 Views)

Alignment Page not scanning on brand new Photosmart C4580

I searched the forums, but was unable to find any identical problems with solutions listed, so here goes:

Have a brand new HP Photosmart C4580.  After printing the alignment page (multiple times) and trying every possible configuration of placing the printed alignment page on the scanner, I am unable to get the device to recognize the alignment page, and as a consequence (I assume) all my printed pages look terrible.  Anyone have advice for how to get the scanner to recognize the alignment page?  I've definiteliy tried all configurations of the page (including the one it told me to do several times).

Student
klukiewski
Message 2 of 10 (12,993 Views)

Re: Alignment Page not scanning on brand new Photosmart C4580

I am encountering the same issue with a brand new HP Photosmart C4780.  Did you ever have any luck in getting an answer to your issue?

I keep getting alignment page not detected when trying to align print cartridges.

Honor Student
hollisbradberry
Message 3 of 10 (12,992 Views)

Our photosmart premium 309 won't complete the initialization process. The panel reads "insert regular piece of paper and press ok." We do this, the paper feeds through part of the way, the initialization counts down for  5 minutes and then nothing happens. Nothing prints, the paper doesn't feed through all the way. Red X on control panel. How to get this printer going? It is brand new!

Student
fathead
Message 4 of 10 (12,833 Views)

klukiewski wrote:

I am encountering the same issue with a brand new HP Photosmart C4780.  Did you ever have any luck in getting an answer to your issue?

I keep getting alignment page not detected when trying to align print cartridges.

Hi, you probably already fixed this issue by now, but hopefully this message will show up for someone else in a search.  I have a new C4680 and had the same stupid problem as you and the original poster.  When I printed the alignment page, it printed crooked on the page and would generate an error "Alignment failed" when scanning it.  There is a long plastic piece on the back or bottom of the printer that snaps in and guides the paper (HP calls this a "door" to open when clearing paper jams).  My printer is black and the plastic piece is grey.  The piece was not snapped in all the way on one side.  I removed it and re-inserted it and printed another alignment page (easier said that done) and it printed correctly and scanned correctly this time.  I had to call Tech support just to find out how to print another alignment page.  You need to tap four times on the lower left of the touch panel to get to the Support menu (not documented anywhere that I can tell).  From there you can navigate to reset the printer and it will print an alignment page the next time it is powered up.  Keep in mind that my printer is a C4680 and may be slightly different than others.

Student
CodeRage
Message 5 of 10 (12,678 Views)

I just experienced this issue with a brand new C4780. I printed several alignment pages, only to be handed a "alignment page not detected" error upon scanning. I could not conceive of the notion that the ink cartriges I installed were the 60XL's I purchased, rather than the samples supplied with the printer. Lo and behold, my resolution had nothing to do with not using the sample cartriges. Here is what I did:

Logged into the web interface after finishing the setup (located at whatever IP address your printer got assigned, or whatever address you assigned it). You can probably achieve this same resolution during the setup process.

Click on the "SETTINGS" tab (green one near the top of the page), then look for a "DEVICE SERVICES" link under "DEVICE" on the left-hand side. In the "print quality" section (top section), change the dropdown list option from "Print Quality Report" to "Clean Pen**". Then click the "RUN DIAGNOSTIC" button. What this will do is 'clean' the print heads and cause ink to flow as intended. After this finished, I then printed another alignment page (using this web interface under device services). Looking at the new alignment page and the others that failed, I could tell that the failed pages printed a bit lighter than the new one. The new alignment page managed to scan and finish up the alignment properly. 

So the overview of what actually lead to my resolution was I cleaned the print heads (cleaned my pens as this is called in this model?), then printed, and scanned a new alignment page. 

I hope this helps others with models similar to mine. From this, I have gleaned that when installing new ink cartriges, that I should run the "clean pens" tool to get ink flowing right for alignments. 

Thank You

CodeRage

Student
ThomasJMyers
Message 6 of 10 (12,378 Views)

Same issue with new C4780 on an Intel iMac, Mac OS 10.6.3

Has anyone seen a reply back from HP?

Tom

Student
sewerscripture
Message 7 of 10 (11,772 Views)

My c4780 won't print the black on the alignment page. Yes, I took the tab off. I also printed something in black and it worked. Any one having problems with this?

Honor Student
SunGoddesss
Message 8 of 10 (11,568 Views)

Hi Code Range,

I've got the same printer with the same problem. But you lost me right from the get go. Where do I find my printer's IP address, and how do I log into the web interface? I sure would love to be able to use this printer!!

Thanks,

SunGoddesss

Honor Student
ManuelB
Message 9 of 10 (5,561 Views)

Just in case this helps someone, note that my problem was that the color cartridge was too low... I changed it and the alignment worked fine

Student
Stenochick
Message 10 of 10 (2,369 Views)

Thank you, ManuelB. You just saved me $140. I bought a new printer b/c mine wouldn't scan anymore. I thought it was just dying on me but it was my ink. I replaced it and it works just fine. Now, I'm going to return this other printer. :smileyhappy:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation