Question

Honor Student
cactusjockey
Message 1 of 6 (210 Views)

Anyone EVER get a 7310 Printer to install on Windows 7?

I am so fed up with HP.   I had a perfectly functioning 7310xi and an unsolicited software upgrade came along from HP and my printer ceased to function as a scanner.   I cannot get a successful re-install EVEN using a disc I purchased from HP.

It crashes and indicates FATAL ERROR. 

I am so frustrated especially since I am sitting on about 100 dollars worth of ink cartridges I will probably never get any use out of.

I have tried every suggestion possible, both from HP and my decent knowledge base as a semi geek.

Any new ideas or successes?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (184 Views)

Re: Anyone EVER get a 7310 Printer to install on Windows 7?

I have been using an Officejet 7410 (very similar to the Officejet 7310, and same drivers) on Windows 7 x64 for years, starting with the Windows 7 Beta.

How is your printer connected - USB or Network?

Was your Windows 7 machine an update from Vista or a fresh install?

I would suggest the following:  If the 7310 is connected by USB then disconnect the USB cable.  Open a DOS window in administrative mode (search for cmd.exe, right click on this and select "run as administrator").  In the DOS window type

X:

where X: is the proper drive letter for the CD.  Next  navigate to the util\CCC directory:

cd util\CCC

dir uninstall_L*.bat

In this directory will be a series of uninstall_L1.bat through uninstall_L4.bat files.  Run the first three of these, uninstall_L1.bat, uninstall_L2.bat and then uninstall_L3.bat.  Do not run uninstall_L4.bat, the uninstall_L4.bat file may remove too much, especially if you have an HP computer.  

.\uninstall_L1.bat

.\uninstall_L2.bat

.\uninstall_L3.bat

After running the three uninstall batch files reboot the computer.  Next run the installer from the installation CD or from the download here.  If using a USB connection do not connect the printer until instructed to by the installer.  If the computer previously had Vista and was updated to Windows 7 there is a patch at the download link above that should be applied as well.  There are also some updates that should be applied.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
cactusjockey
Message 3 of 6 (181 Views)

Thank you.....

Ill try it as suggested... I will try anything!

Honor Student
cactusjockey
Message 4 of 6 (178 Views)

I can't seem to get to the util\CCC directory. BTW, it was a clean Windows 7 x32 on a ThinkPad T60p.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 6 (161 Views)

[ Edited ]

cactusjockey wrote:
I can't seem to get to the util\CCC directory. BTW, it was a clean Windows 7 x32 on a ThinkPad T60p.

OK, let's try the following:  put the CD in the drive, then go to Start, Computers.  In the list of drives on the left side right click on the CD drive (perhaps D: or E: ) and select Expand.  There will now be a list of directories on the cd listed below.  Click on util (in the list of directories) and the main panel should come up with a list of the files.  Look for uninstall_L1.  Right click on this and select "Run as Administrator".  Once this finishes do the same for uninstall_L2 and uninstall_L3. 

When all three have finished then reboot your computer, then re-run the installation.  Do not connect the USB cable until instructed to by the installer.

If you have a free port on your router then connecting the printer via wired LAN may be more convenient, that is how I have my Officejet 7410 set up.  Plug the LAN cable into the router port and the 7310 and then when you run the printer installer tell it you want to install a network printer.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
cactusjockey
Message 6 of 6 (152 Views)

Thank you for your interest.

I have done the afore mentioned steps several times.  I have reassigned and verified authorizations, re-installed NET Framework, tried selective start up and more. I have scoured the internet for every tid bid related to this and the best  I have gotten to is where it looks like everything including HP Solution Center is installed.

However, in the install routine the "Configuring Product" phase results in a "Fatal Error"

HP Solution Center cannot see the printer.  The printer sees and installs on the network, wirelessly, through Ethernet or USB.  All functions are available if I use the Windows Scan software.

This is not a true successful HP installation as none of the HP peripheral software is functional.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation