Best install method: usb or ethernet or wireless (9125 Views)
Intern
gardengal5
Message 1 of 13 (9,125 Views)

Best install method: usb or ethernet or wireless

I just got a new 6380 (replacing 5180) and am trying to decide which installation method to go with.  I think its probably best to make this decision now at initial install and not try to change it later.  (with my 5180 I once tried to go from USB to Ethernet later and it did not succeed despite following all instructions).

So what are the pros and cons of each install method?    

The wireless choice is obvious what the pro is, but I don't really need that. The printer is close enough to the CPU.  But is there any advantage to going wireless anyhow?  I suspect my decision is really just USB vs. ethernet.

Is the decision just speed?   

Does a network printer have full features as local printer?

When I had set up my laptop to add a network printer to my USB-connected 5180, I did not install any drivers and the printer features were limited.  I didn't expect any bi-directional features, but even double-sided printing didn't work and other simple features that the print dialog box showed I would get, but I did not.  ( I didn't install the drivers on the laptop cause I was afraid all the crap accompanying software would come along for the ride and clutter up my brand new clean laptop.!)

Appreciate any thoughts.

Intern
gardengal5
Message 2 of 13 (9,119 Views)

Re: Best install method: usb or ethernet or wireless

Yikes!   I was just browsing others install problems on this forum with the 6380 and now I am totally intimidated to try ethernet or wireless.   I think I'm going to just go USB (because I can) and potentially save myself a lot of grief.    If I install the sw on the laptop, hopefully I will end up with a full featured setup.

My router is probably a tad old (Netgear WGT624) as is my computer (2001). PC is Windows Pro XPSP2.  Laptop Vista.   I have ancient corporate Symantec stuff on my PC that cannot be disabled.  

I thought of one other advantage of Ethernet over USB - length of cable.  USB is limited; ethernet is not. In my case, it makes no difference.

ANother advantage for me, is the USB cable is already sticking out the back of the CPU to my printer area!  No crawling around the dustbunnies to hook up the ethernet.  

Still curious for feedback on the basic issues... I probably won't do anything til later on anyhow if anyone has any thoughts in the meantime

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 13 (9,109 Views)

All features are fully supported with all 3 connection types. IMO, a physical connection is the most reliable form of connection. If you need to use the printer from multiple computers on the network, then conenct it via ethernet. if this is the only computer you'll use the printer from, then try USB. But keep the USB cable unplugged before starting the installation.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Intern
gardengal5
Message 4 of 13 (9,135 Views)

Dexter, I have a wireless laptop in my network.  So, whats the difference between:

1. doing a USB install to PC and adding a network printer to the laptop

or 

2. doing an ethernet install to router and adding network printer to both PC and laptop

For the moment, we can ignore the risk of installation problems potential with novice network person.

regarding all methods are full-featured, thats only if bloated software installed on both devices, right?.  In my old setup I skipped the software install on the laptop.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 13 (9,107 Views)

If you connect via the USB and then share the printer to your notebook you will need to have the desktop on whenever you plan to print.  I have a similar setup here (but a different model, Officejet 7410) and chose to set it up as a network printer wired to my router.  This way the printer is available to both the desktop and wirelessly (through the router) for the laptops.

If you chose this method I would suggest you give the printer a fixed IP address, just above the DCHP range for your router.  This will ensure the printer does not change its address if there is a power failure or other shutdown.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Intern
gardengal5
Message 6 of 13 (9,097 Views)

Great point!   As time goes on, I expect to use the laptop more and the desktop less so that's good I ended up choosing ethernet over usb.  

what do you mean by this?

give the printer a fixed IP address, just above the DCHP range for your router. 

The printer acquired the address 192.168.0.5 when I plugged it in to the router.   Is that what you meant?

Turns out I cannot yet install the 6380 SW on the laptop because my cd drive is broken and I am awaiting a new one to be shipped.    (yikes thats two hp hardware failures in one week... 5180 printer and dv7 drive...whats going on!).    Can I temporarily just add the printer as a network printer?  Will it see it on the network?    Do I actually need the drivers installed on the laptop as the instructions indicate?   I sorta didn't need them when I had the 5180 (connected to PC via USB) set up that way. Are there some generic drivers that the vista-32 laptop will use?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 13 (9,077 Views)

Since the printer is already on the network, Vista can add the printer automatically for you. But i suggest you select 'Local Printer' in the Add A Printer wizard, and manually create a TCP\IP port for the printer IP. As for the driver, you can use the Deskjet 990c printer driver as it is a generic driver.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Intern
gardengal5
Message 8 of 13 (9,064 Views)

That's interesting about a port number.   I had already attempted the install before your post.   My first attempt (as network printer) the wizard came up with TWO choices:  

1. HPFDDNN 192.168.0.5:3nnn    (I'm paraphrasing, something like that)
  2. HP Series 6300 printer 192.168.0.5

I wondered about the port number in #1, but I picked #2.   But then it went on to make me choose a driver from a list of HP models.   Every photosmart EXCEPT the 6300 was in the list!!!  So I picked OfficeJet 6300.   It worked, but I didn't get the features I expected.  So I deleted it and went to the HP site to download the appropriate driver setup stuff there.   I picked "basic".   It also found #2 (no mention of #1 or a port) and I'm good to go.   I'm going to do it one more time and download the "full featured" driver setup.   Might as well have the toys on a system that has the horsepower for them.

So, being the curious type, why is a port number involved in this?    [network novice warning.... please explain gently.]

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 9 of 13 (9,062 Views)

I'll let Wikipedia explain ports to you. :smileyhappy:
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Intern
gardengal5
Message 10 of 13 (9,060 Views)

but why do I get a choice:  specify a port or don't specify a port   What are the ramifications of one or the other?  speed?  

If a port is a good thing, how come the driver setups don't specify one?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation