Question

Honor Student
nysetrdr1
Message 1 of 5 (11,063 Views)
Accepted Solution

Black Print skipping lines randomly

[ Edited ]

When I print a document, a few lines throughout the page (randomly), the top portion of the characters are not inking.  Another words, I have half characters (only the bottom half) across the entire line.  I have on OfficeJet Pro L7580 and I did replace the cartridge with an HP 88.  I also cleaned the print heads many times and also aligned the print heads many times.  Sometimes I got a "failed to align" message when I ran that task.  All of the other colors are working fine.  This is only the Black print on the page. Please advise.  I don't use this printer very often, but I do need it to work properly.  thank you!

Teacher
Fresh_Prints
Message 2 of 5 (11,051 Views)

Re: Black Print skipping lines randomly

We need to isolate this as either a software or hardware issue. To see if it is a hardware issue, printing several stand alone test pages by following the instructions on this web page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00873156&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=2512008

If the issue persists it is a problem with the cartridge.

If the test pages print fine, try printing from a  different software program on your PC. If that prints fine there is an issue with the formatting of the program you originally printed from.

Please note I have a new account Print_Hint
(this one is no longer active)

Although I am an HP Support Engineer, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
JimmyYO
Message 3 of 5 (6,626 Views)

[ Edited ]

All the previous suggestions failed for my Deskjet 1050 j410 printer. What did work, for some stupid reason, is unplugging the printer then holding the cancel button and color button down while plugging the printer back in(this restores the printer to factory default). With each restore the test page skipped less and less lines until the 6th or 7th reset when it was finally crystal clear.

An odd solution but an effective one nonetheless. Hope this helps.

Honor Student
mohammad-khan
Message 4 of 5 (6,275 Views)

JimmyYO wrote:

All the previous suggestions failed for my Deskjet 1050 j410 printer. What did work, for some stupid reason, is unplugging the printer then holding the cancel button and color button down while plugging the printer back in(this restores the printer to factory default). With each restore the test page skipped less and less lines until the 6th or 7th reset when it was finally crystal clear.

An odd solution but an effective one nonetheless. Hope this helps.

Surprisingly, This actually worked for me. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks pal

Student
stmld
Message 5 of 5 (5,101 Views)

[ Edited ]

Officejet 4500 running on windows 7

printer was working perfectly fine but i ran out of black ink.  After i replaced the cartridge the printer would only print the top 1/2 part of every 5th line.  I cleaned the cartridge, pulled the plug on the back of the printer and still it wouldnt print correctly. 

called tech support and was told its a sensor problem and no way to fix it, HOWEVER ...  they could SELL me a new to me refurbished replacement printer since i was out of warranty.  NOOOO WAY was i spending any more money on a printer that ive had nothing but problems with.

SOOOOO......  i did a hard reset where you unplug and wait 15 seconds then hold down 3 and # until the reset notice comes up on the screen while you re-plug in the printer at the outlet. 

Happy to report that this resolved my problem and my printer is working perfectly fine now saving me $$$.  

Note:  I did have to delete the printer from the printer folder and then re-add it.  Not sure why.... but at first my prints werent going through.  After that, everything was perfect. 

Thanks for nothing HP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation