Question

Top Student
wingfan13
Message 1 of 6 (189 Views)

C5180 Freezes during scan

This is a new issue that has just popped up and I have no idea why it is happening.  When I go to scan a document the scan starts moving down the page and then freezes.  The software is completely frozen.  I have to reboot my laptop and reboot my printer to get any of the software to respond again.

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 2 of 6 (177 Views)

Re: C5180 Freezes during scan

Hi wingfan13,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the scanning software and the scanner freezing while attempting to scan.  So I can better assist you, Please respond with which Operating System you are running.
Which Windows Operating System am I running?

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

Please respond back at your convenience and I will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
wingfan13
Message 3 of 6 (174 Views)

I am using windows 8. It had worked fine until the last few days.
HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 4 of 6 (155 Views)

Hello again wingfan13,

Thank you for writing back to me with the Windows information.  I do have a couple suggestions on how to resolve this issue.  First step I would like for you to take is to please be sure you have the printer power cable connected to a wall outlet and NOT a power bar/strip.  HP printers already have a built in surge protector and if you have it connected to a bar/strip the printer will NOT get all the power needed to function properly and this will cause communication errors or false errors on the printer display screen. Here is a document the explains  the Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

Another step we can try would be to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

If this does not resolve the issue, please feel free to write back for additional troubleshooting instructions.

Thank you for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
wingfan13
Message 5 of 6 (153 Views)

The printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet.  The link you provided for the scan doctor brought me to a non working page.

Thanks for helping me out with this issue.

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 6 of 6 (150 Views)

Hi again,

Sorry about the link not working. Please click on this link for the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

I just tested this one and worked fine for me. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks again and I do apologize for the inconvenience.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation