HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
05-04-2010 10:55 AM
HP C5280 All-In-One, printing from XP / Vista / Win7.
Black print is faded in roughly horizontal streaks, as if the black cartridge is nearly empty. We were surprised by this, as the previous black cartridge wasn't that old. We changed it anyway but the problem persists. We've tried cleaning the print cartridges and printing diagnostic pages (both via the built-in menu) but the result is the same. Black output is faded or missing, colour seems fine.
We could just have bought two substandard cartidges in a row, but it's unlikely, and given the prohibitive price of ink, we'd rather not buy a third one just to confirm our suspicions. We think the problem is more likely with the printer itself.
1. What is the standard warranty on HP printers?
2. Is there a way of determining the warranty period, if given the machine's serial number?
3. How would we obtain a quote for an out-of-warranty repair, if necessary?
4. Before seeking a repair, is there anything else we should try?
Thanks in advance,
05-04-2010 12:16 PM
Try cleaning the gold contacts on the printer and on the cartridge. Remove the cartridge, using a flashlight look in the slot and you will find a bunch of gold bumps. Clean them with a lint-free cloth wet with rubbing alcohol. Clean the mating dots on the cartridge. The cloth will be ruined.
If that does not work, reset the printer by turning it off, unplugging power from the back of the printer, waiting 30 seconds, plug in and turn on.
1. Warranty is typically one year.
2. Call HP or look on your receipt for the purchase date. (If you did not register your printer, HP may not know your purchase date).
3. Out of warranty repair is, well, probably more expensive than a new printer.
4. See above.
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos star in the post that helped you.
I am employed by HP