CM1015 printer installation problem (665 Views)
Student
DrNybble
Message 1 of 4 (665 Views)

CM1015 printer installation problem

[ Edited ]

Disk failure on Win 7 64-bit Ultimate system.  System restrored but cannot reinstall HP CM1015 MFP color laser printer.

Downloaded driver was executed in XP SP3 compatability mode as required (even tried Vista SP2) but aborts because it "thinks" I am using admin mode when I am not.  Is there anything out there that will allow installation w/o compatibility mode?  In other words, an up-to-date driver?

Additional:

Error message says to install using Vista 64-bit but there is no compatibility option for 64-bit in any OS.  SP2 only and that doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong - besides having bought an HP printer?

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 2 of 4 (649 Views)

Re: CM1015 printer installation problem

For the win7 64 bit OS, you need to use the Vista 64 bit driver in compatiblity mode but you need to make some adjustments to the driver files.

Here is a document that explains how to load the driver in compatibility mode.

HP Color LaserJet CM1015 and CM1017 MFP Series - Install a print driver on a Windows 7 computer (32-...

If you miss the below step...you won't have a successful install...the document above has screenshots and more detailed instructions if you need it.

There are 4 executable (.exe) files extracted to the Windows 7 PC hard drive that need to be run in compatibility mode for a successful installation on a Windows 7 PC. Each of these 4 files (autorun, hpzsetup, HPZstub, and Setup) need to be modified before they can be run in compatibility mode on the Windows 7 PC.
To modify and run the .exe files on a Windows 7 PC in Windows Vista compatibility mode, follow these stepBrowse to the location where you copied the product CD or downloaded the Vista bundle and then locate the following 4 executable (.exe) files:
    • Autorun (.exe)
    • Hpzsetup (.exe)
    • Hpzstub (.exe)
    • Setup (.exe)
I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Honor Student
rothenbj
Message 3 of 4 (498 Views)

Now for a potential solution that worked for me after hours of trying the instructions given.

Follow the instructions provided by HP, download the Vista file and extract.  Sort the extracted files by type file and find the six application files.  The instructions tell you to change four of those files to run in Vista compatibility mode, CHANGE ALL SIX!.  After you've applied those changes, execute autorun. 

You will probably be asked what to do with the existing device drivers if you already have installed the drivers before.  Have the system remove them and reboot the computer.  Once the old installation is gone (if you had one), run the autorun file again.  You should not get that "X" on the screen after you've plugged in the USB cord.  The files should all re-install.  I was only getting black or grayscale before I did this, but now have color again.  You can test that first.

Now test the scanner.  Hit the scan button and the scanning software should load.  However, you may get an error depending on whether you have the latest printer firmware.  If the scanner software doesn't load or if it fails, do a google search for the CM1015 firmware.  I believe it has an Oct. 2012 date.  Download it and run it with the printer in the "Ready" state and plugged into the USB port. 

After the firmware has updated, I rebooted my computer (not sure if that was necessary) and tried the scanner.  SUCCESS.  Good Luck!

Honor Student
mikechat
Message 4 of 4 (336 Views)

[ Edited ]

Rothenbj is right! He saved the day for me.

As he writes, the HP instructions are good except you need to modify six, not four application files! It won't install unless you also modify CM1017eGSG.exe and hpbvspst.exe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation