Question

Honor Student
HJKN
Message 1 of 24 (36,248 Views)

Can't get HP Deskjet 3520 to connect wirelessly to my network- help please!

I've bought a HP Deskjet 3520 so I can print from my iPad and iPhone. However, I can't get the printer to find my wireless network.
I haven't run the cd that came with the printer as I'm not using a desktop pc.
I have tried pressing the wireless button on my printer- settings- preferences - wireless (which says its on) - wifi protected setup ....... I've tried both options, the use button set up and the PIN setup.
I get a message 'WPS Connection in progress' (and a 2 min counter counting down) but then after about 1 minute I get 'Error.... Progress stopped'

Can anyone help please?
I presume the problem is the printer isn't finding my wireless network because other things (like iPad and iPhone) can 'see' several wireless networks locally (mine and the neighbours').

I ran a wireless network test result page and it says 'network name (SSID) found FAIL' ........ Which I presume means it can't find my Belkin router (which rather annoyingly is sat next to my new printer! )

My Belkin has a password, which I presume needs putting into my printer at some point but at the moment the printer can't find my network at all

Any help gratefully received
Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 24 (36,223 Views)

Re: Can't get HP Deskjet 3520 to connect wirelessly to my network- help please!

[ Edited ]

Reset the printer back to its factory defaults.  Power off router and printer.  Power on router, wait 2 mins.  Power on printer and try connect to your SSID again with your password. Oh, and move the printer away from the router, about 5 feet or so.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
HJKN
Message 3 of 24 (36,122 Views)

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I tried this and it didn't work.
I now have a print out of wireless test results that says everything is okay (all passed) and I have been able to set up eprint (so can email from iPhone or wherever to printer), and that works.

However, although it says it is on my wireless network, when I try to print from iPad or iPhone I get the message 'no AirPrint printer found' and, to make matters worse, I was able to print before from iPad or iPhone by changing the wifi ffrom my router to connect directly with the printer. Now it won't do that - they both still 'see' the printer as a wifi choice but can't actually connect .????
Help??? I've spent hours trying to sort this and I bought the printer because a) it was on Apple's list of AirPrint enabled ones and b) the reviews I read said it was 10 mins out of the box to set up!!
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 24 (36,118 Views)

[ Edited ]

HJKN, sounds like you're having wireless communication issues.

Can you tell me the make and model of your router? Do you know if it is dual band? 

I would try connecting and installing your printer through an Ethernet connection to see if the issues persist, this will let me see if there is something in your network environment not properly connected. Here is the information you might also try contacting your router provideer and ensuring that it does have the proper setup. 

1. Turn off any internal firewall or add an exception for the printer (this might also apply to any firewalls/antivirus software on your computer) 

2. Make sure that your router is broadcasting on 2.4Ghz (make sure that it is not 5Ghz or mixed) and that it's broadcasting on channel 11. 

3. If you use a WPA2 or TKIP passphrase, I would have that changed to normal WPA 

4. Set the printer with a static IP and Google DNS (the bottom of the IP page, set it for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Here is a video on how to do that :

Let me know what becomes of this, and I will respond to you as soon as I can. 

I hope you have a wonderful and safe weekend, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer 
Honor Student
HJKN
Message 5 of 24 (36,111 Views)

Spencer. Thanks very much for your post. It's now past midnight here and my kids will be getting me up early. As your response looks a bit technical for me ;-) I will give it a go tomorrow rather than now. Will post how it goes! Thanks again. Helen
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 24 (36,110 Views)

[ Edited ]

Alright, well you have a wonderful night and enjoy your weekend! I hope that when you try this you will respond here and let me know how it goes. I will be around all next week to help you out! 

If you think I am being helpful, a great way to show your thanks is by clicking the star below my user name on each post to give me kudos, a quick way of saying thanks on the forum. 

Best of luck to you! 

Top Student
Andremoysescard
Message 7 of 24 (35,828 Views)

I have the same problem as my mom just bought this printer and doesn't have a computer to configure it. She only has a wifi network and her iPad. How to install the printer without using the CD or a support computer ?
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 24 (35,819 Views)

If you live in the US, you can call HP technical support at 1-800-474-6836 (click here if outside of the US) with the iPad in hand and try to reach the Deskjet/Apple department for assistance in getting the printer setup on the wireless network since it is brand new.  When I worked in the ePrint department, I would transfer customers with your configuration to that division and, to the best of my knowledge, they helped them get set up. 

Otherwise, page 33 of the User Guide can walk you through the steps on how to get this printer onto the network without using a computer.  I hope this helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Student
David_Greg
Message 9 of 24 (34,536 Views)

Page 33 of the user guide says you need a desktop or laptop with network connectivity?  Are you sure you can do this without a computer?

A lot of people are running WiFi networks ONLY with an Apple mobile device these days and simply can't use the printer if a stand alone setup option is not available.  It's not much point having "air print," if it can't be configured!

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 10 of 24 (34,449 Views)

Hey David_Greg,

Please take a look at the information in the thread found here.

Best of luck,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation