Question

Student
austinite_83
Message 1 of 1 (988 Views)

Can't get Officejet 4500 wireless printer to work on Toshiba laptop Windows 7 64-bit

I just purchased this printer with the goal of setting up a wireless printer to be used by multiple computers at my house.  I have AT&T Uverse and am using that as my wireless router.

1st computer - success

I have a desktop computer where I dual boot Windows 7 32-bit and Linux Mint 32-bit. Starting with Windows I loaded the CD that came with the printer and successfully set up the printer to print via USB cable and also wireless.  Next I rebooted into Linux Mint to set up the printer.  I selected set up a network printer, it saw the printer, set it up, and was able to print.  So no issues printing from either operating system.

2nd computer - can't connect

I have a Toshiba Portege laptop running Windows 7 64-bit and for this computer I definitely want to print wireless.  I loaded the CD and went through the same process used before and when it came to the section asking me if I wanted to set up the printer via USB or wireless, I selected wireless.  It saw my printer on the network which I had just set up and I selected it.  It finished installing the software and then on the page where there was the graphical picture of 2 computers hooked up to a router hooked up to the printer it gave an error message saying that it had failed. So I selected retry a few times but it never worked.

Went to the HP help page and followed the instructions of uninstalling all HP installed software and emptied the temp directories. Rebooted my laptop, went to the HP site and downloaded the 64-bit version of the all-in-one software for my computer and tried to load to load it again.  Still no success.  I even plugged my laptop to the printer via the USB cable and it still doesn't work.  You can see where Windows is trying to load the driver and it is coming up with error messages.

So I am out of ideas.  Any suggestions on what I can do to get this printer to work on this laptop?

Thx, Don

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation