Can't install my printer HP Photosmart c 4780 (68 Views)
Honor Student
wvgirl72
Message 1 of 3 (68 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't install my printer HP Photosmart c 4780

When installing my printer in Windows 8.1, a 'System cannot find file specified ' message displays on the computer. I have a dell Inspiron 20 model 3045. It won't even download the driver. I think it has something to do with my user account. I tried to change the hpoins.dat file to .old like hp suggested on their website but it still isn't working.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 3 (58 Views)

Re: Can't install my printer HP Photosmart c 4780

Hi,
Follow the steps below and check if that resolve the issue:

1. Open Mcafee software, from the Virus and Spyware Protection section click on Schedule and run scans. Click on Real time scanning and then on Turn Off. select till I restart the PC and confirm by clicking the Turn Off button.

Now try reinstalling the HP Software and check if the installation goes as expected.

If the issue persists continue following the next steps below:

2. Open the run dialog by clicking both the Windows key and the R key on your keyboard. Type %windir% and click on OK.
3. Type hpoins*.dat into the top search bar, if there are any results rename the extention into old instead of dat. (e.g. hpoins1.old)
4. Type hpwins*.dat into the top search bar, if there are any results rename the extention into old instead of dat. (e.g. hpwins1.old)
5. Launch the Run dialog by clicking both the Windows key and the R key on your keyboard. Type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER into the Run dialog and click on OK.
6. Launch the Run dialog by clicking both the Windows key and the R key on your keyboard. Type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER into the Run dialog and click on OK.
7. Run the installation file and check for any difference.

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
wvgirl72
Message 3 of 3 (40 Views)

Re: Can't install my printer HP Photosmart c 4780 I got the printer fixed. Thank you.

wvgirl72 wrote:

When installing my printer in Windows 8.1, a 'System cannot find file specified ' message displays on the computer. I have a dell Inspiron 20 model 3045. It won't even download the driver. I think it has something to do with my user account. I tried to change the hpoins.dat file to .old like hp suggested on their website but it still isn't working.

wvgirl72 wrote:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation